Help! Ascites? Water coming from hens mouth!

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I need some help. Rizo my one year old hen had about a teaspoon of “water” come from her mouth yesterday.

Someone suggested she could have ascites. She didn’t lay an egg for over a month, and laid a soft shelled egg that popped before she stopped laying and after. Then, suddenly, she started laying normal eggs. Her eggs are perfectly normal now and shes very consistent every day laying. Her egg color slowly came back and now its back to a beautiful brown.

But, her belly is pretty squishy, but it bounces back.
She hasn’t had the “water” come from her mouth again, but i think some weird seed came out, but then again, it was on my chicken ramp, so its possible it was there to begin with.

Anyway, what do i do? I need some advice. I heard that stuff coming from the mouth that looks like water could be bad. And i don’t think she drank any water before it happened, but she was around the corner, so it is possible.

It came out when she bent her head down.

If liquid came out of her mouth she could have sour crop, but she may not, I have some pullets when they put they're head down liquid comes out of their mouth, they're completely fine though and their not lethargic.
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied, if not she has sour crop.
Ascites does not cause liquid to come out of the mouth. A chicken with water belly is suffering from heart failure and/or hypertension. The heart failure causes their liver to stop functioning properly. When the liver isn’t functioning properly, fluid begins leaking from the liver into the abdominal cavity causing “water belly” or "ascites".
Compare her abdomen to another chickens abdomen and see if there's much of a difference.
Is she lethargic at all?

If liquid came out of her mouth she could have sour crop, but she may not, I have some pullets when they put they're head down liquid comes out of their mouth, they're completely fine though and their not lethargic.
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied, if not she has sour crop.
Ascites does not cause liquid to come out of the mouth. A chicken with water belly is suffering from heart failure and/or hypertension. The heart failure causes their liver to stop functioning properly. When the liver isn’t functioning properly, fluid begins leaking from the liver into the abdominal cavity causing “water belly” or "ascites".
Compare her abdomen to another chickens abdomen and see if there's much of a difference.
Is she lethargic at all?
I thought that could be it, but i smell nothing coming from her beak at all. I thought that was a tell sign, but it still totally could be possible she has it.

I will do that tomorrow! I’ll check right when i wake up. They don’t get down without me carrying them so it’ll be easy to check because i’ll know she hasn’t had any food.

Not that ive seen, she seems perfectly fine, i’ll monitor her throughout the day though and see if something changes.

Back
Top Bottom