HELP - BAD open wound from fox!!

Vchidgey

Hatching
Dec 15, 2021
PLEASE HELP - sadly my chickens were attacked by a fox. This little one got away but with a very bad bite. Vet said to clean the wound twice a day with saline and gave us antibiotics. The wound does not look infected but doesn’t seem to be closing up, it’s been a week. Has anyone’s chickens healed from a wound this big? Does it need butterfly stitches to close it to help heal? Will it heal on its own if I keep it clean? She is still eating and drinking and moving around a bit and has not lost weight. The opening is around 50 x 15mm at the widest parts. You can see her insides :’(

Attachments

• 3425504F-E896-457F-A28B-53F30C6C5F95.jpeg
    3425504F-E896-457F-A28B-53F30C6C5F95.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 55
  • BE30845E-4EC7-4967-8D39-979E26CE13D4.jpeg
    BE30845E-4EC7-4967-8D39-979E26CE13D4.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 38
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am so sorry we had to meet this way. I would continue to do as the vet suggested, as it seems to be working looks good and seems to be healing. She has a large wound, so expect that it will take a while before it is completely healed. Just keep an eye on her to insure she does not end up with fly strike with a wound that large. Good luck and please continue to ask questions as they arise. We have lots of informed people who will be happy to help in any way they can.

What is your location? Plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment can be helpful to prevent infection and keep tissue moist as it heals. The wound appears very deep, so I would t think it may take a month or more for the wound to heal. If pus, a bad odor, or infection occurs, you can flush the wound with Chlorhexidene first.

PLEASE HELP - sadly my chickens were attacked by a fox. This little one got away but with a very bad bite. Vet said to clean the wound twice a day with saline and gave us antibiotics. The wound does not look infected but doesn’t seem to be closing up, it’s been a week. Has anyone’s chickens healed from a wound this big? Does it need butterfly stitches to close it to help heal? Will it heal on its own if I keep it clean? She is still eating and drinking and moving around a bit and has not lost weight. The opening is around 50 x 15mm at the widest parts. You can see her insides :’(
We just had a fox attack, too. My girl has a bad wound. We are treating with neosporin. She doesn’t look good to me, hoping she can pull through. We gave her water with nutridrench to try to keep her hydrated. Did your hen pull through?

Back
Top Bottom