Help! Broody relocated!

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
Its day 6 on the nest and when I went to check on her this afternoon she had moved into one of the nesting boxes. Previously she had been in a corner of the coop with three eggs eggs. Two of the three eggs were buried under the straw the third I couldn't find she's got about five eggs under her in the laying box. I stuck the two that I had marked under her they were cold she was on them last night and I'm not sure when she moved because I work very early in the morning and they were still locked up when I left. Should I take out all the unmarked eggs? Will the two that she was previously sitting on be okay? Will she sit on the new ones until they hatch if I take The Marked Ones out will this be day one or will she abandon the nest early before they hatch since she's already been sitting almost a week? Should I just break her and wait till she goes Broody again at another time?

Thanks all in advance.

Sounds like she doesn't care where she sits. I've had hens that will just go wherever the eggs are. You might have to confine her to one place and manage her if you want her to set. The eggs that were on day 6 I would get rid of, and start over if you wish her to hatch.

I prefer hens that are dedicated to their nest. It's up to you whether to continue or not.

It's also best to separate out a setting hen in some way to give her peace, and to stop other hens from adding to her nest, and chasing her off.

Sounds like she doesn't care where she sits. I've had hens that will just go wherever the eggs are. You might have to confine her to one place and manage her if you want her to set. The eggs that were on day 6 I would get rid of, and start over if you wish her to hatch.

I prefer hens that are dedicated to their nest. It's up to you whether to continue or not.

It's also best to separate out a setting hen in some way to give her peace, and to stop other hens from adding to her nest, and chasing her off.
We had already planned on moving her this weekend. Just had to get extra fencing and such sorted for her run.

Im wondering if she left the nest this morning to eat and when she came back the nesting box is the first thing she sees. And since i work in the mornings i hadnt collected eggs yet.

So i count today as day 1 for the new eggs?

Ok. I got out the old ones and marked the new ones. Im actually glad shes in the laying box as when they get up in the morning they are all (13 including broody) on the floor of the coop waiting for MIL to let them out. That also may be why she moved.

Then i counted 21 days on the calendar and wouldn't you know thats Halloween 😆

Well i just saw momma outside eating. So i went outside and she was walking around clucking loudly. She went into the coop and just wandered around cackling. Then she settled into her original corner. I honestly think she was confused. So i picked her up and put her in the nest box with the eggs and she settled down. Idk. Maybe shes just not gonna be a good broody. Ill wait and see what happens when we move her. Maybe shes just too young. Shes 7 months.

She's inexperienced. Not every hen knows why she's setting. Usually after they hatch a batch they understand. It's one reason I block mine into their chosen nest box. I let them out once a day and make sure they return to the box I want. Most are compliant.

She switched nests again. Ugh. Im really trying hard to nurture this trait in her. She seems pretty committed to sitting just flighty on where. She was sitting in the box next to the one she was in yesterday. I moved her and blocked her in. This is my solution till we get her into the new place this weekend.

Attachments

• 20231012_144911.jpg
    20231012_144911.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom