Help! Can I move the nest?

Gunleather

Chirping
Jul 18, 2021
Hi y'all, I have a hen Royal Palm turkey that has been laying eggs. I put a few in the incubator but she kept laying more now she is sitting on them. It's in a unsecured location. Would she accept me moving her into the chicken coop? Or maybe if I put the nest where it is now into a large dog kennel so I can lock her in at night? Any suggestions, there are a couple chicken eggs mixed in her nest too.

She has been exposed to gobblers.

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_100055140_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221124_100055140_HDR.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 6
hmm, short of moving all the eggs to an incubator ... i doubt that would be successful ... id say very late in the evening, almost dark, you could probably make a makeshift pen around it .. get a roll of 1" chicken wire and a bag of zipties and try not to disturb her too much .. be easier to just go buy a bator lol ...

You might be better off posting this in the Turkey forum. I'll post a link but you can find it on the forum page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/turkeys.20/

I personally have no experience with brooding turkey's. From what I've read on this forum Turkeys and Ducks do not relocate well. You might be able to move that kennel around her current nest but then again you may frighten her away with that activity. I have no experience with them when brooding.

hmm, short of moving all the eggs to an incubator ... i doubt that would be successful ... id say very late in the evening, almost dark, you could probably make a makeshift pen around it .. get a roll of 1" chicken wire and a bag of zipties and try not to disturb her too much .. be easier to just go buy a bator lol ...
I have a small incubator already full of her eggs lol, she only now started sitting on this new nest site. She is used to me being around her. I'm going to try and move her eggs then her into the dog kennel tonight at her location.
Her leg was broke in half last year by a horse. I did my best to splint her leg and do my best homemade vet work on her. No vets around would help. I ended up moving her in the house in that kennel and I had to hand feed her daily for three months until her leg healed. I was surprised she started laying, I was really surprised she survived me lol. So I'm gunna give her the best shot I can at being a mom, I guess she was destined to be.

I have a small incubator already full of her eggs lol, she only now started sitting on this new nest site. She is used to me being around her. I'm going to try and move her eggs then her into the dog kennel tonight at her location.
Her leg was broke in half last year by a horse. I did my best to splint her leg and do my best homemade vet work on her. No vets around would help. I ended up moving her in the house in that kennel and I had to hand feed her daily for three months until her leg healed. I was surprised she started laying, I was really surprised she survived me lol. So I'm gunna give her the best shot I can at being a mom, I guess she was destined to be.
I'm curious . . . were you successful at moving your turkey's nest into the dog kennel? I had a turkey hen that laid a clutch of 12 eggs under a tree in tall grass. On about day 22 a coyote got her and all of her eggs! I was just sick!

Back
Top Bottom