Help!!! Chick as a broken leg!!!

Rubyredchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hello everyone,

Yesterday a horses stepped on one of our chicks! She or he was running between the horses legs trying to run from our bigger chickens and the horse stepped on her foot. The horses hoof snapped the chicks leg and cut it. Today I got some healing herbs, put it on the chicks leg, and rapped it with gauze. I hope she or he is okay
fl.gif
. Is there any other way I can help? Please tell any info you have.

Rubyredchick

That leg MUST be set into place to heal properly. It also needs a split or something to keep in strait. Clean off the wound with alcohol once then wrap it. Change the bandages as needed and keep the bird in a small cage with food and water until its healed.

If the bone is exposed weak betadine to flush out the wound would be best. You might try splinting the leg with gauze, popsicle sticks, a finger splint, and vet wrap or tape. It's worth a try, but if it is suffering, or seems like too big a task, I would probably put it down if you can see a vet.

Thanks for replying everyone,

Today I got the chick and took of her bandage. When I did that the, wound ad healed up almost completely!
celebrate.gif
Instead of putting a bandage on him or her, I splinted its leg. The chick is eating, drinking, and sleeping. The only down part is that she cant walk
hmm.png
. He or she likes to wobble around on the ground but if he or she tries to put pressure on the leg, it hurts. Right now she is in our garage with another chick that as a wounded neck.

Rubyredchick

Back
Top Bottom