Help! Chicken attacked by a hawk

camilleon

Hatching
Nov 16, 2020
Today I had been around my house when I heard a frantic distress call from one of our roosters. Having had several of our chickens attacked by predators in the past few weeks, I went running outside to see our lavender orpington hen flailing under a hawk. I screamed at the hawk and it let her go, and I crossed the fence to check on her. She was laying on her side, feet straight out, and I thought she was dead, but she was breathing. She kept flailing on her side and kicking her legs out. Eventually I got her inside, laid her down and propped up her head. It seems like she can’t hold up her neck, and if she’s touched she kicks out and flicks her head randomly. She’ll also push out her head?? Like she’ll push her head forward and lengthen her neck. However her eyes are very bright, she’ll open them and follow you. At one point a yellow liquid was dripping out her mouth for a minute (crop emptying?) No external wounds or injuries either, and no blood.

I don’t expect her to last the night, and if she doesn’t seem to get any better by tonight we’ll probably take her to the vet to be put down. But does anyone have any idea what’s happening?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 22
Give her time to calm down. She’s probably still in survival mode. She might have some internal injuries. Don’t give up on her. She could very well surprise you.

Give her time to calm down. She’s probably still in survival mode. She might have some internal injuries. Don’t give up on her. She could very well surprise you.
It’s been a couple hours since it happened, I just don’t want her to suffer if she’s in pain, but I’ll keep watching her to see if she might make even a little progress

It’s been a couple hours since it happened, I just don’t want her to suffer if she’s in pain, but I’ll keep watching her to see if she might make even a little progress
I would check her mouth for blood in case of internal injury. Is she still super sensitive and jerky?

Where around her mouth? Is it possible the hawk punctured her neck?
Possibly but from what I can tell no. The blood is like on her face and waddle on one side, and if it punctured her neck I think there would be more blood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom