Help...Chicks and heat lamps

Katiekelley2371

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
I have 5 new baby chicks 3 Lavender Orpingtons and 2 Black silkies, they are absolutely precious. They are currently in a smaller plastic tub (I read it was okay to use) but I will be upgrading when they get a little bigger( they are 5 days old). Anyways, I have a heat lamp which I got from tractor supply mounted over the tub but I only have it mainly offset to the corner because I am so worried of them getting to hot or too cold. Is there any “safer” alternative to a heat lamp or does anyone have some tips on heat lamps and placement in general? We have adult chickens but have never raised chicks. Thank you!

D8604BC6-BA81-4FEF-BA25-3414C6DDA2C0.jpeg

Okay I will look into one, thank you! I just went and checked on them and they seemed to be doing fine, they aren’t directly under the light but they also aren’t huddled together.

I did the mama heat pad (there's a giant thread on it here somewhere) and it was great. Definitely better than a heat lamp and safer. Way more natural than a light. But if I had to do it again I would buy the brooder plate heater since it would be easier to keep clean.

20200522_030444.jpg

A normal light works. I have a 60 watt incandescent in there. It's super easy wiring and plugs into the wall.

I have kids, and cats that like to sit on top so the hanging light was only used inside for the first day after hatch.

Back
Top Bottom