Help - Chicks dying

EotP

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
Hey everyone,

Hoping to see if I may be overlooking something. I raised 41 chicks with brooder plates in a dog pen with no casualties at all. Sunday I picked up 22 chicks and I’ve now lost three. Two yesterday and one today, that other than sleeping was fine about 2 hours ago. I think I will lose another based on its ‘sleepiness’. The temperature in the garage is around 16-18 degrees (the brooder plates are suppose to be able to go down to 10) and the chicks in general are moving around, scratching, eating and drinking so despite me dropping the plates a bit lower (probably less than an inch now, but slanted and the two at different heights so they can find the sweet spot) I don’t think it’s a temp issue as I would expect huddling underneath the plates. Is there something I may be missing? The first batch I got from a breeder 6 hours away, this second from a farm closer just aver 2.5 hours. I noticed with the one I think I am going to lose the top and bottom beak are offset - is this just poor genetics at play?

If you think the plate is too warm, set up a little loft for them so they can get off the plate. I would also put some apple cider vinegar into their water.

Back
Top Bottom