Help! Chicks with cocci

Smashley24

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
We have 8 three week old chicks in a brooder and spotted bloody poop in there today. Getting Corid to treat now, but my question is do I need to treat my 8 chickens that are outside too? They haven’t been around each other at all, so maybe this is a silly question. This is the first time I’ve dealt with anything like this and I’m still new to chickens. Maybe this has been asked before, I’m sorry. Thank you for any help!

How old are the others? It wouldn’t hurt to treat the others. Usually, chickens slowly build up a tolerance to coccidia in the poop and soil. If they are grown, they may not need it, but the medication will not hurt them.

How old are the others? It wouldn’t hurt to treat the others. Usually, chickens slowly build up a tolerance to coccidia in the poop and soil. If they are grown, they may not need it, but the medication will not hurt them.
3.5 months and 2.5 months. Thank you!

I would treat them all. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, changed daily, for 5-7 days. Do you have any pictures of the bloody poop? Are the chicks lethargic, not eating, or hunched? Sulfa antibiotic from a vet may sometimes be better if there is a lot of blood or they don’t respond to Corid right away. Here is where to get sulfa antibiotic without a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet

Back
Top Bottom