HELP! Coccidiosis or something else? Poop photo

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
This young pullet "splashy" has been ill for a few days now. Lethargic isolating herself and puffy feathers. Not eating much. Yesterday had Watery bubbly eye discharge so I chalked it up to a respiratory and quarantined her. Now this am has bloody stool. Which I thought is cocicidia? I have corid and gave it to the entire flocks water. Is that what it could be or something else? Photo of her and one of the poops. Hard to see the blood it's pretty liquidy. How long will the corid take to kick in if that's what I'm dealing with?

Attachments

• 20240404_155326.jpg
    20240404_155326.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240404_155308.jpg
    20240404_155308.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 11
How old is she? Have you recently gotten her or added any new chickens lately? Her being lethargic could be from having a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG,) or from coccidiosis. The blood looks more like intestinal shed, but if she is having a lot of runny poops, more orangey red shedding, or not eating, I would keep treating with the Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Have you seen any sneezing, mucus from her beak, head shaking, crackly rales breathing, or gasping? Tylosin powder from a vet or found online can help treat MG. The bubbles/foam in one eye can be a sign, and there may or may not have the other signs. Here is a place to find Tylosin in stock:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

Here is a good article about body mites or lice and what it may look like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Permethrin dust or spray is normally used to treat lice or mites.

Feather mites can make feathers look moth eaten all over. Ivermectin is used to treat those.

Rooster damage looks like this as well, so I would first rule out other things before buying and using medications. You may need to make sure there is no overcrowding, and perhaps separate your rooster for awhile. Most roosters need more hens than 4 or someone may be overrated.

She hatched January 5th. They had some type of respiratory issue back in Jan when they were in the brooder. They healed up quickly and were fine.
I recently got 4 chicks They are 6 weeks old. 2 passed away quickly one last week one 2 days ago. They had similar symptoms. Isolation, puffy feathers, still eating and drinking though. It happened fast when they died. No abnormal poop from them that I noticed. Its definitely a decent splatter of blood in her poop. I do not have a rooster.
I looked her over closely. No signs of mites and vent looks ok. She's not at a laying age yet.
Breathing seems ok. She had a random bubbly eye the other day that lasted a short time and some nasal discharge.
I also have tiagard left from when they had the respiratory issue prior. I am using both that and corid just in case. Is that ok to use together in her water?
She isn't too interested in eating but I have seen her drinking.

She hatched January 5th. They had some type of respiratory issue back in Jan when they were in the brooder. They healed up quickly and were fine.
I recently got 4 chicks They are 6 weeks old. 2 passed away quickly one last week one 2 days ago. They had similar symptoms. Isolation, puffy feathers, still eating and drinking though. It happened fast when they died. No abnormal poop from them that I noticed. Its definitely a decent splatter of blood in her poop. I do not have a rooster.
I looked her over closely. No signs of mites and vent looks ok. She's not at a laying age yet.
Breathing seems ok. She had a random bubbly eye the other day that lasted a short time and some nasal discharge.
I also have tiagard left from when they had the respiratory issue prior. I am using both that and corid just in case. Is that ok to use together in her water?
She isn't too interested in eating but I have seen her drinking.
The 2 that passed showed no signs of any respitory issues. Just lethargic puffy feathers and then passing very quickly. Within a matter of days. The second actually improved for 3 days then died quickly in the am when I let them out.

She does not seem to be improving. If anything worsening today. Maybe from lack of eating but seems weaker. Her poop is bloodier and more liquid. Is there anything else I can do or do I just expect her not to make it through the night? I feel so terrible for her.

Back
Top Bottom