Help decide which feed to give to my chickens...

So far, nature has been doing it for me in the form of hawks, coyote, foxes, and local dogs. But I’d like to get on a two year cycle. It’ll give them two broody seasons and a nice mix of breeds. All of my roosters are Speckled Sussex right now and they and their offspring have been doing very well. But I’d like to incorporate Brahmas into the mix to lean more toward a dual purpose flock where I cycle hens and roosters through.
Brahmas are so fun to raise! 🤗

All Flock typically just means it doesn’t have added calcium. 18 weeks is old enough to not need starter. I have not used those feeds personally, but the naturewise feather fixer sounds like a really good option. You can switch now or wait until your current bag is used up.

I feed mine 22% layer feed from Tucker Milling Co. My long term plan involves cycling roosters of different breeds through, so the long-term health effects to the roosters isn’t an issue. They are all happy and healthy. The only time I switch feed is when a hen hatched chicks. I put mama and the babies on a chick starter and keep them separate for a week or two. Once the babies are up and about, I switch the whole flock to an all flock grower mini pellet and offer oyster shells. I give them 3 months or so then switch back to the 22% layer.
I might try that; I like the idea of a 22% feed.

Back
Top Bottom