Help! ducklings foot.. weak? Damaged? Deformed?

Ashlee peta

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
Link to video of nugget trying to walk

Hey guys! So my first ever clutch of Muscovy ducklings have finally arrived ♥️ we went from about 11-12 eggs to only having 4 hatch, snd we unfortunately lost one of the little floofs yesterday. :(
I was trying to read through what my one little ducklings foot issue could possibly be and I’ve got 1000 different ideas but I think most likely the niacin deficiency may be more along the lines. But basically my 2 day old duckling has hatched and is much smaller than the other two and we noticed the foot hadn’t uncurled or opened up so let it go, thinking with time it will get stronger and it’s still looking very limp. I know it’s only day 2, but also don’t want to risk him being abandoned by mum or getting picked on as well as leaving it too long for it to be irreversible..
Having a look at it up close the leg joint does seem swollen almost? And the lower leg just seems like it doesn’t want to work, and the Webbed feet .
The little nugget is getting around and keeping up as best it can with the others but very slowly and awkwardly as it only uses the strong leg to hop/push itself along. (And just now I’m noticing trying to use the other leg as a stub)
I looked up some ways to try and help but a splint seems difficult with it being so small still and bandaging it seems like it wouldn’t allow the foot to open up properly. If someone could have a look at the photos and let me know what they may think it is. I have mushed a heap of peas up anyway to help get those nutrients in anyway. I have a video also but I don’t know if this site will let me post.
We put him in some water to see if the leg works and although awkward it still seems to want to do it’s job so that is a good sign I am guessing.
If anyone has any ideas or needs more info I would love to be able to help the little one out ♥️

Attachments

• 67A077FF-B6EE-4B07-87E7-CD7BFF0F2C80.jpeg
    67A077FF-B6EE-4B07-87E7-CD7BFF0F2C80.jpeg
    816.6 KB · Views: 37
  • BB3C56C5-4F53-4235-B7F1-6BF5CA1C3DA2.jpeg
    BB3C56C5-4F53-4235-B7F1-6BF5CA1C3DA2.jpeg
    858.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 3EC537C6-7ED2-41D0-B470-8FA3CC935E98.jpeg
    3EC537C6-7ED2-41D0-B470-8FA3CC935E98.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 8655800A-260D-4681-8F95-D9133030CCBB.jpeg
    8655800A-260D-4681-8F95-D9133030CCBB.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 474A841A-CEE6-4D09-AACC-2FAA16DB6419.jpeg
    474A841A-CEE6-4D09-AACC-2FAA16DB6419.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hey guys! So my first ever clutch of Muscovy ducklings have finally arrived ♥️ we went from about 11-12 eggs to only having 4 hatch, snd we unfortunately lost one of the little floofs yesterday. :(
I was trying to read through what my one little ducklings foot issue could possibly be and I’ve got 1000 different ideas but I think most likely the niacin deficiency may be more along the lines. But basically my 2 day old duckling has hatched and is much smaller than the other two and we noticed the foot hadn’t uncurled or opened up so let it go, thinking with time it will get stronger and it’s still looking very limp. I know it’s only day 2, but also don’t want to risk him being abandoned by mum or getting picked on as well as leaving it too long for it to be irreversible..
Having a look at it up close the leg joint does seem swollen almost? And the lower leg just seems like it doesn’t want to work, and the Webbed feet .
The little nugget is getting around and keeping up as best it can with the others but very slowly and awkwardly as it only uses the strong leg to hop/push itself along. (And just now I’m noticing trying to use the other leg as a stub)
I looked up some ways to try and help but a splint seems difficult with it being so small still and bandaging it seems like it wouldn’t allow the foot to open up properly. If someone could have a look at the photos and let me know what they may think it is. I have mushed a heap of peas up anyway to help get those nutrients in anyway. I have a video also but I don’t know if this site will let me post.
We put him in some water to see if the leg works and although awkward it still seems to want to do it’s job so that is a good sign I am guessing.
If anyone has any ideas or needs more info I would love to be able to help the little one out ♥️
It's definitely not niacin deficiency. @Isaac 0 will help you.

only if its soiled
Thank you! I will update you once I am able to grab it again, currently settled down under mum, and I would like to keep all my fingers lol.
I feel like mumma duck is damn lucky she’s only got three to handle as she seems so stressed trying to keep them under control.
Such amazing little things though still trying to work out how an egg becomes so cute

An external coaptation device to correct the foot curling would likely be the best lines of treatment; for such, one can use painter's tape, or perhaps more preferred vet wrap. In addition, providing soft, clean grounds with plenty of traction, and adding a broad range of poultry vitamins into the duckling's water may help the proper formation of the bones, and ligaments.

Back
Top Bottom