HELP! Flock problems

Galaxy_rules

🌸🌱Galaxy🌱🌸
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2023
Canada 🍁
My older hen ( six years ), Pebbles, as of today is acting lethargic and she isn’t eating ( VERY unlike her ), she was drinking a lot of water last week but not anymore. She was on her perch tonight, no pale comb, no feathers missing. She had a case of lice & mites before but they seemed to be gone as of a few months. We have contacted the vet but they have not responded yet. What can I do to keep her fairly happy until an appointment with the vet?

Next, the rooster problem. I have four roosters ( two silkie brothers, half a year old & two australorp brothers, almost a year old ), they have all lived happily to in peace, until today. The beta Australorp roo, Coconut 2, started ruthlessly attacking his brother, Comet. Comet has fairly minor peck wounds near the top of his head.

Hopefully the vet can see her soon.
Hard to know what's going on with her. She's 6yrs old, so may be starting to have some reproductive problems. You mentioned she was drinking a lot of water, but has recently stopped. Is her crop emptying overnight? If it's not, then address that symptom.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You treated her for lice and mites? You don't see any on her after careful and close examination?

I'd see that she's staying hydrated and try to encourage her to eat. Bits of egg or canned fish are often of interest.

Most of the time roosters at some point will have some scuffles. They may get along well afterward or may not, you'll have to watch to see if the fighting continues on and on. If it does, then housing them separately is one solution.
Minor peck wounds usually heal up on their own.

Hopefully the vet can see her soon.
Hard to know what's going on with her. She's 6yrs old, so may be starting to have some reproductive problems. You mentioned she was drinking a lot of water, but has recently stopped. Is her crop emptying overnight? If it's not, then address that symptom.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You treated her for lice and mites? You don't see any on her after careful and close examination?

I'd see that she's staying hydrated and try to encourage her to eat. Bits of egg or canned fish are often of interest.

Most of the time roosters at some point will have some scuffles. They may get along well afterward or may not, you'll have to watch to see if the fighting continues on and on. If it does, then housing them separately is one solution.
Minor peck wounds usually heal up on their own.
Thanks for the response! She’s been getting better as of yesterday, coming out of the coop, eating, and usually hanging out with the flock. I’m going to check her for mites today, I have the coop a thorough clean out with diatomaceous earth everywhere and wood shavings on top. Even though she’s getting better, she’s still hanging back/not being with a flock a little bit. Her crop is not emptying overnight, and when I said she has stopped drinking, I meant she is drinking an average amount of water now.

I’ve separated Coconut 2, I put him in a chick box, where he can see the other chickens, but can’t reach them. Comet has been peacefully visiting Coconut 2 But I’m going to keep him in the cage until Comet’s fully healed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom