Help for 3 week old chick!

WillowRS

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2022
Hello. New chicken mom. My 3 week old white crested Polish black (Valeska) has her head feathers coming in and I think the other chicks might have thought it was food and started pecking at her poor head. This is my second set of chicks but Ive been lucky that none of them have been sick or injured so I need help. I have her separated and will be keeping her in the house with me while she heals. She is calling for her flock :(
Here are my questions:
  1. 20220920_131925.jpg

What can I put on her head to help her heal?
  2. If I keep her in the house for a week, will her flock accept her back or do I need to do something special?
  3. Will she be too lonely being by herself? Will it affect her in any way?
Thank you so much for any and all help ♥

Hello. New chicken mom. My 3 week old white crested Polish black (Valeska) has her head feathers coming in and I think the other chicks might have thought it was food and started pecking at her poor head. This is my second set of chicks but Ive been lucky that none of them have been sick or injured so I need help. I have her separated and will be keeping her in the house with me while she heals. She is calling for her flock :(
Here are my questions:
  1. View attachment 3266416
    What can I put on her head to help her heal?
  2. If I keep her in the house for a week, will her flock accept her back or do I need to do something special?
  3. Will she be too lonely being by herself? Will it affect her in any way?
Thank you so much for any and all help ♥
I had something like this happen to me but it was on the tail area. You can spray her head with some poultry wound spray (be very careful you dont get it into her eyes) or you can put some blue-kote to stop them from pecking. I dont use blue-kote, I used something a little similar called hen healer. And it didnt work for me. The other chicks were still going crazy trying to bite her little tail. I moved her away for a while until she grew her feathers back and her wounds healed. They didnt attack her when I put her back.

So the flock should accept her but it just depends. I would bring her out daily so her flock can see her. This might also help her not be so lonely.
Hope this helps.

I had something like this happen to me but it was on the tail area. You can spray her head with some poultry wound spray (be very careful you dont get it into her eyes) or you can put some blue-kote to stop them from pecking. I dont use blue-kote, I used something a little similar called hen healer. And it didnt work for me. The other chicks were still going crazy trying to bite her little tail. I moved her away for a while until she grew her feathers back and her wounds healed. They didnt attack her when I put her back.

So the flock should accept her but it just depends. I would bring her out daily so her flock can see her. This might also help her not be so lonely.
Hope this helps.
Thank you. Headed to tractor supply right now

Back
Top Bottom