Help! Hen is making squeaking/sneezing noises and vent is protruding

rainnitega

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
I'm new to the board as I found you guys doing a google search for what could be wrong with my poor little Chick Pea and you seem like the folks to ask. I hope someone can help and if so I'll be grateful! Chick Pea's not quite 2 years old, is an Aracauna and she had a pasty rear end today and is making this squeaky not really a sneeze noise and as she does this her vent protrudes. I thought she may be egg bound but I don't see any swelling and I can't feel anything that feels like an egg but I brought her in and washed her rear in warm water and applied some Preparation H because the area seems to be a bit swollen. And like I said as she makes this noise it protrudes and then goes back in. It also kind of seems like she's wheezing a bit.. it's been really hot here lately (mid 90's) but my hens have plenty of shade and water so not sure if that has anything to do with it but thought I might mention it anyway.
Thanks in advance for your help!
jenn

most of my chickens have been sounding like that lately, and its been really hot here, my uncles and also my neighbors chickens are doing the same thing, we all think its the heat, and they are actually panting, now for the pasty but im not sure, it could be something else other than heat im not sure, welcome byc!! im sure someone will help u out more,

Hi rainnitega ~ sorry you are having problems with your girl.

What are you feeding?
Have you isolated her? Is she someplace relatively cool now?
Do you have any gatorade or electrolytes you can put in her water?

Sounds like you have already done a good job cleaning her up and making her comfortable. Keep watching her to see if her symptoms continue. Right now it sounds like the problems with her bottom are from the sneezing.

Thanks Josh I appreciate that! I was thinking she might have been over-heated a bit too so I've been keeping her inside for the past hour and she's still making the wheezing/squeaking noises which is causing her vent to protrude in and out. Her beak was quite pale and it seems to have it's normal color back now and she's eating her favorite treat of raisins so I guess that's a good sign. She keeps pruning at her feathers on her back side too... very odd!

Hi jenski - thanks for the help!
She's been eating a mix of laying crumbles and scratch and whatever else she can get ahold of out in the yard.
She's isolated in a pet carrier in the house at the moment... I've heard chickens sneeze before and this is a very strange high pitch kind of squeak. Never heard a chicken make a noise quite like it.

Welcome. Sorry you are having problems with your little girl.

just a few questions to eliminate things:

1 have you checked for mites?
2 how is her poo?
3 and you could keep an eye on her for signs of an illness. Maybe give her a little yogurt.

How do you check them for mites?
And she hasn't really gone to the bathroom yet but her rear was kinda pasty with whitish poo.
I'll see if I can get her to eat some yogurt in the morning.
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom