Help! Hens not heading into the coop anymore!

I ran across a post. I think the coop was in Texas. Person had winter doors, and summer doors. I think also same option with windows. Texas is prone to hurricanes, so the doors and windows that were soild, were Plexiglas. The good weather option doors were framed out hardware cloth ones.
Toss that idea around for summer ventilation.

I ran across a post. I think the coop was in Texas. Person had winter doors, and summer doors. I think also same option with windows. Texas is prone to hurricanes, so the doors and windows that were soild, were Plexiglas. The good weather option doors were framed out hardware cloth ones.
Toss that idea around for summer ventilation.
That’s an AWESOME idea!!! I think a hardware mesh door sounds great! Thank you!

Set your automatic closer for an hour later than it is. Mine sometimes love to wait until the very last vestige of light is going away before going in. If there are streetlights or other sources of light, they may even want to wait later. Throwing things at them at times have made them decide to go in :🤷: Either way, as was already mentioned if the thing closes when they are not ready, they can't get in at all. Its getting light longer out, they want to stay out longer, set the timer longer. see how it does.

Aaron

Glad we could help, you might not need the light, try leaving the door open a bit longer and the natural sunset should drive them to roost. If not then yes a light in the coop will help as it guides them after it's dark everywhere else. That's the thing about them, sometimes they meander a bit longer than they should, and miss the opportunity and by the time they are at the coop, it's too dark for them to safely (in their little minds) jump up on the perch... or whatever, so they'll stick it out in the grass, on the ground, under the tire... whatever, because they can't see well enough because of the dark to hop up on the roost.

We got them going back where they belong, now to hone the process w/ as little extra stuff needed as possible :D

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom