Help! How can I process these drakes?

If I'm just going to do 1 then I could probably get away with doing it in the apartment (windows open and fan running). Right? I like the skin too so plucking really is my goal!
I did them in the garage. They have an amazing amount of tiny downy feathers that I wanted to keep out side. Think of feather pillows and how hard it is to clean up all the feathers from a leak, now multiply by 10 for the number of feathers on one duck! But I just got some, I love duck. Does you apartment have a carport or a garage? My old place had an attached garage, I heated the water up on the stove and carried the very hot water to the dipping bucket out side. Small chickens I just scalded in the big water bath canning pot on the stove and plucked them over the sink, for less dripping. I like to do it the day before trash pick up day, if at all possible.

I did them in the garage. They have an amazing amount of tiny downy feathers that I wanted to keep out side. Think of feather pillows and how hard it is to clean up all the feathers from a leak, now multiply by 10 for the number of feathers on one duck! But I just got some, I love duck. Does you apartment have a carport or a garage? My old place had an attached garage, I heated the water up on the stove and carried the very hot water to the dipping bucket out side. Small chickens I just scalded in the big water bath canning pot on the stove and plucked them over the sink, for less dripping. I like to do it the day before trash pick up day, if at all possible.
I wish I could like this twice. It seems like great advice!

I used the wax method to pluck drakes when I did my first batch. I don't think I would be able to pluck a duck without waxing off the down. It would just take forever. When I just do one duck I don't think it's worth it to get a pot of water and wax all melted and hot, so I just skin them.

And if there are any pin feathers I would skin them as well. Sometimes you don't get to put off harvest for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom