Help! I am not sure what to do about male goat!

. A riding crop with a leather tab at the end may help dealing with him. You can correct him without being right next to him and they mostly just make noise with a bit of whap.
Like the same ones that the horse owners use with their horses and carriages. It will not hurt them but the noise might be enough. This guy was hand raised. And most of the times never gave a hassle except lately. And only with the one female he wasn’t paired with from birth. Thank you for your help.

Goats' horns are handy when you want to force them to go where they don't want to go. I just cut the sharp tips off of mine. You could get your male fixed (if you don't want to breed him again) and he will calm down.

Starting at a young age, I taught my bucks basic manners.
Hi! Thank you for your help. I am new with farm animals but I’ve had many other family animals that I’ve successfully trained. This buck is actually very intelligent and sweet when he wants to be. The only times I have problems is when I have to separate him from harassing the females and forcing him to do something he doesn’t want to. Any other ideas in how to train him? Is there a web site or book? Thank you for your help.

View attachment 1988743 View attachment 1988743 Thank you for your advice. I had already separated him by removing and tying him very far away from the fenced area where the mother and babies are. But, that’s a temporary solution. He is very strong and has done damage with those horns to their shed! But he is a magnificent male of the breed and I do wish to continue breeding the females and sale the babies. Therefore, I need to find a type of enclosure that will be sturdy enough and contain him. I found these tarter panels? Showing picture. I can set it up close to the source of water and feed and near the rest of the animals so he is not alone. My does will be able to raise their kids at ease and when I want to breed them, I’ll wait until the babies are weaned and mothers take a break before breeding them again. That way I’ll be in control. I also have an electrified fence that will keep the does and kids within their enclosure and predators away. Will an area 10 x 10 be enough for him while regularly letting him out to roam the pastures when the females are not there?
Ten by ten ought to be large enough for a Nigerian buck. You can give him a wether for a companion. The bigger issue as I see it is civilizing him. Even a small buck can hurt you. He needs to learn that you are the alpha goat. I don't remember now how I did it, but my bucks, with one notable exception, all got that through their heads at a very young age. When the one young (stupid) buck rammed me I was so mad I turned around, grabbed him by a couple large handfuls of hide and hair, picked him up bodily and dumped him on his side on the ground. He landed in a mud puddle. I think I hurt his pride more than anything but he never challenged me again. I think if I were you I would put that buck on a halter, lead him around a bit every day, and make him behave. As it is he has a grossly inflated view of his own importance.

@natyvidal, have you checked out our sister site, Backyard Herds? Probably a lot of the same members, but focused entirely on farm animals. Not that you aren't welcome to ask goat questions here, but you might also find answers to questions you don't even have yet on BYH.

Hi! Thank you for your help. I am new with farm animals but I’ve had many other family animals that I’ve successfully trained. This buck is actually very intelligent and sweet when he wants to be. The only times I have problems is when I have to separate him from harassing the females and forcing him to do something he doesn’t want to. Any other ideas in how to train him? Is there a web site or book? Thank you for your help.
I didn't see this before I posted. Your best bet is to just handle him every day and make him behave. Lead him around a bit and don't let him get away with any nonsense. You can groom him and give him some treats when he is nice. At least he is a Nigerian and not a 250 pound Alpine or Nubian buck. You have that going for you.

Sorry I guess I should've been a little more specific. I had to work with mine to understand who's in charge as far as humans. As far as the girls separating is the best that can be done right now. I'm guessing he's in heat and maybe that has caused his over the top behavior. I agree with liking them to have horns because that is a tool I use to get him to go where I need him to go or if he's trying to be a little pushy it's something to grab onto to show him he's not going to be pushy towards me. I can redirect or restrain. It is a different situation because he's the wether and he's never come at me full force but if he wants to go somewhere or want something he'll get downright pushy and if you let Him he'll pin you against the nearest building or tree. But the second I grab his horns he realizes and remembers who's actually in charge. At first my arms hurt when he first started acting like a butt but now he remembers quicker

You can use the horns I've heard of people that use super soakers probably not in the winter though. For tougher situations I've actually heard Holding him down any time he comes at you until he stops fighting has worked after a couple try's. I once was reading someone having a hard time getting their goat to the ground to hold them down and you can actually grab one front and one back leg and pull to take them to the ground if needed. None of this obviously to injure or distress the goat but it teaches them and remind them who's really in charge. And depending on the situation can prevent someone from getting hurt.And goats have very thick heads. Especially boys. Luckily I haven't run into those really really tough situations. I'm waiting for mine because you're always gonna run into that one that almost seems impossible to train

:gig
Pool noodles over the horns can help a bit in a pinch. .
When I put Pool noodles on rodeos horns it's spooked the crap out of his sister and I think he was enjoying that. So anytime I put them on him he just starts running at his sister.:gig
I have to take them off before Joan totally freaks out but I laugh because it reminds me of my brother.

Back
Top Bottom