Help Identify Chicken Types?

BoradorBeans

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Tampa, FL, USA
Hello! Very new to raising chickens. We're actually fostering a few chicks for a local animal sanctuary and learning as we go (we have experience raising ducks, of which were also fostering).

Can anyone help identify some of these chicken breeds? They're very tiny and at least 2 weeks old. We think they may be of the bantam variety. Including a photo of each of our 8 little guys (or girls).

#1.
20240407_111009.jpg

20240407_111100.jpg

20240407_111148.jpg

20240407_111337.jpg

20240407_111421.jpg

20240407_111507.jpg

20240407_111621.jpg

20240407_111249.jpg

The first chick looks like my Buff Orpington chicks. The buff on the back gets darker like that as they grow. The dark and cream possible Barred Rock. They get a grayish checkered pattern with the black as they grow. Not sure about the others. The feathered feat possible bantam . The fun will be figuring out which breed they turn out to be.if the chicks are buff orpington and a barred rock they are full size. Post more pics as they grow! Good luck and have fun with them!

Can anyone help identify some of these chicken breeds? They're very tiny and at least 2 weeks old. We think they may be of the bantam variety. Including a photo of each of our 8 little guys (or girls).
They could be mixes, rather than any pure breeds.

I notice that many of them have feathered feet.

Brahmas have feathered feet and pea combs (I don't think you have any Brahmas, but I can't see all the combs well enough to be positive. Brahmas also tend to come in specific colors, and your chicks don't seem to have those colors.)

Cochins have feathered feet and single combs. I think you may have several Cochins or Cochin-mixes.

D'Uccles have feathered feet, single combs, and a puffy muff/beard on their face. If you have any with puffy faces, they are likely D'Uccles (although mixes can inherit those traits from many different breeds.)

#4 and #6 appear to have clean feet (no feathers), but I don't have a breed guess on them right now.

Sometimes it is useful to look through the breeds and pictures on a hatchery website, to get some ideas.

They could be mixes, rather than any pure breeds.

I notice that many of them have feathered feet.

Brahmas have feathered feet and pea combs (I don't think you have any Brahmas, but I can't see all the combs well enough to be positive. Brahmas also tend to come in specific colors, and your chicks don't seem to have those colors.)

Cochins have feathered feet and single combs. I think you may have several Cochins or Cochin-mixes.

D'Uccles have feathered feet, single combs, and a puffy muff/beard on their face. If you have any with puffy faces, they are likely D'Uccles (although mixes can inherit those traits from many different breeds.)

#4 and #6 appear to have clean feet (no feathers), but I don't have a breed guess on them right now.

Sometimes it is useful to look through the breeds and pictures on a hatchery website, to get some ideas.
Thank you! You're right... I think many are mixed breeds, especially since they're free roaming at the sanctuary we're working with. We just found an adopter who will take all except 2 of them, so now we'll just wait and see when they look like as they grow. :)

One little guy has a prolapse we're treating, so he's staying with us and we're keeping a buddy for him, although they all hang out with the ducklings and probably think they are ducklings themselves. LOL

The first chick looks like my Buff Orpington chicks. The buff on the back gets darker like that as they grow. The dark and cream possible Barred Rock. They get a grayish checkered pattern with the black as they grow. Not sure about the others. The feathered feat possible bantam . The fun will be figuring out which breed they turn out to be.if the chicks are buff orpington and a barred rock they are full size. Post more pics as they grow! Good luck and have fun with them!
Thank you! Luckily we're friends with their adopter, so we will get lots of photos as they grow! We're curious to what they'll look like, especially since they're most likely mixed.

Back
Top Bottom