Help! Injured duck

jennyman

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Hello! Last Friday something attacked our ducks. Not sure what. One is gone. A second is in recovery with some puncture wounds on her neck. We took her to vet. She seems to be getting better. Eating a bit here and there. Still not as much as I like. Drinking some water. She is having a hard time with her neck. personality is coming back too. Although, she shakes and pants alot when we are around. Our third duck is not physically injured but she is silent and barely eating. I'm not sure what to do for her. She is drinking a ton of water. They are inside in a quiet space. I guess I'm not sure what to do to get them to eat. Any advice?

Assuming your vet has knowledge with birds, it would likely be best to call and state your concerns with her/him, so you can come up with the best next treatment plan. Predatory attacks are most often extremely stressful for birds so one can expect a week's worth of lethargic behavior associated with shock.

The duck that has barely eaten since the attack will begin to need nutritional support via tube feeding to keep it in a stable condition, or it will presumably go downhill fast.
You may try and offer some warm soupy duck feed, or mashed scrambled eggs both of which are sometimes appealing for sick ducks.

Thank you both!! The third duck is in the hospital now. Hopefully she gets better. The second duck laid an egg today which blew my mind. She is eating some of her food, lettuce and meal worms in water. Do you think she needs grit for that?

I'd offer her a small bowl of grit on the side of her feed bowl. That way when she needs it will be there for her.
Please keep us updated. As for laying an egg, they sure are amazing critters. ❤️

Thank you! She is doing better. Our third duck sadly died yesterday. Very unexpected. The vet was very surprised. Pretty broken up about it.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs

I hope you can find a few friends for the one left.
How did this attack happen was it during daylight or at night? were they in their coop or outside in a run or property? Trying to figure out how to best protect our critters takes alot of thought and work. Many of us have learned this the hard heartbroken way.

Back
Top Bottom