Help me decide coop location!

Here's a coop under a big tree. Best decision I ever made.
63768_p7230086.jpg

Quote:
And what do you use for shade cloth? I'm trying to think of some other spots that aren't too close to our neighbors. And if it's smack dab in the middle of our lawn, hubby will have to say goodbye to the grass in the area. The area under the pine trees, choice #2, is not the wettest spot in our lawn, and it doesn't get standing water, but for about two months out of the year, it's a bit sloshy to walk on. We are going to be keeping 4-6 hens, so, say the coop is ~40 ft from neighbors line and the run is on the side further from them, do you guys think that noise and smell would bother them at all? I'm asking because the side of the yard near our closest neighbors sits on higher ground and/or drains better.

My coop has no shade and I am in a small portion of the Sonoran Desert. I use Tarps for the roof. The silver on one side kind. Shade can be made of all sorts of things but regular tarps made of shade cloth can be bought complete with grommets for hanging or stretching.
Shade cloth comes in percents. from 25 percent all the way up to 90 percent shade. You can buy it on line or get it at Home Depot depending on what you want to do. My previous coop has only one wood wall the rest was Chainlink lined with aviary panels or chicken wire. (One wall was tarp for the winter). Stretched tight Canvas or Shade cloth lasts a year or even more especially if you can keep it from rubbing on things.

The other way to provide shade is to actually build a roof over the run. Doesn't have to be fancy some plastic corrugated panels. Just depends on what you want it to look like.

Back
Top Bottom