Help me find Mr. Right!

debbiesala

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
Hello helpful chicken people. I have an 8-year-old silver-laced Wyandotte hen (5 lbs) and a 1-year-old Brahma hen (7 lbs), both laying, who have free ranged on an acre their entire lives. We have considered a rooster ONLY for their protection, especially from hawks, but I'm very nervous about upsetting the ladies, especially the 8-year-old. There hasn't been a rooster here for about 4 years and it was a bantam, unknown breed.
  1. Is it better to get a young rooster to raise, with him getting used to handling/training, etc. or an older one who is more mature?
  2. Is there a breed that would be best – aggressive enough for protection but laid back enough for the ladies?
Thanks!

A roo is helpful for protecting the flock. They intimidate predators a lot! I would get an older roo since they are likely to be more mellow than a young boy. Maybe 1 or 2 years old. I loved my australorp roo, he no doubt saved my hens from predators multiple times. He was very intimadating and protective of the ladies. I never feel comfortable not having a leader for my flock.

A roo is helpful for protecting the flock. They intimidate predators a lot! I would get an older roo since they are likely to be more mellow than a young boy. Maybe 1 or 2 years old. I loved my australorp roo, he no doubt saved my hens from predators multiple times. He was very intimadating and protective of the ladies. I never feel comfortable not having a leader for my flock.
He was an amazing leader until the day he died. His name was Jb short for Jack Black😁

Attachments

• 20210812_133621.jpg
    20210812_133621.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 1
Don't get a rooster or a cockerel. They won't have the instinct to protect the hens from hawks.

They might put a warning call if there attentive. But usually it's not enough time for the hen to make it to safety.

Is it better to get a young rooster to raise, with him getting used to handling/training, etc. or an older one who is more mature?
I would not bring in a young cockerel. I'd want a male at least one year old. Immature cockerels can be brutally bullied by mature hens, sometimes injured or killed. An immature cockerel probably will not have the self-confidence and swagger to dominate mature hens. A mature rooster is more likely to dominate a hen by the force of his personality instead of relying on brute strength. An immature or less confident male may have to rely on physical strength to dominate, which can lead to an injured hen.

You never know how it will proceed. I've had a 5 month old cockerel peacefully take over a flock with mature hens in it. I've had an 11 month old cockerel fight with the dominant hen for two days before she finally submitted to him. She wasn't injured during this but it was very unpleasant to watch. The individual personality of the male and the females count a lot. Some hens will accept practically anything wearing spurs, even if the males are young while some hens will resist even a super-confident magnificent male.

Is there a breed that would be best – aggressive enough for protection but laid back enough for the ladies?
In my opinion breed has nothing to do with this. Each chicken (male and female) is an individual with its own personality. Either it works or it doesn't based on individual personality. To me for this type of thing breed isn't important at all.

Back
Top Bottom