Help me plan my new aviary! :D

amandacv86

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
It could be months before I can get this started. I'm planning a huge 10x12 aviary. That's the largest I can build it without needing a permit. I want to have a section for cockatiels, parakeets, a possible pair of indian ringnecks, and my two female rabbits after they're spayed.

1. The 3x8 area would be for the rabbits, complete with a hutch for shelter and shelves for hopping on. Also a feeding station and a small doggy door giving access to the larger 8x7 area. I'm hoping by making the doggy door with a flap and close to the ground, it'll make it so the birds don't go into the rabbit area. The doggy door will be able to be opened and closed at will in case I need to close them in or out of that area for any reason.

2. The 8x7 area will house either Cockatiels or Parakeets. I want to have a few tunnels and hidey houses for the Rabbits in here, too. I want to have a seating area in here so I can spend time in there comfortably.

3. The 3.5x4 areas. These will either be one for Cockatiels or Parakeets, the other for Ringnecks, or one 4x7 area for tiels or keets. I'm leaning towards the tiels in the larger area and leaving the smaller area 4x7 for the keets, with the option to modify it later.

In summer I would keep it cool by having a mister in there and frozen 2 liters on hot days(maybe a fan when it gets above 100). In winter I will cover the whole aviary in plastic. I live in California and it hardly ever freezes here.

I'm thinking the substrate will be pine shavings, $4.99 a bag at Tractor Supply. Every so often as needed I'll scoop out the areas the rabbits soil in and replace it with more, kind of a modified deep litter method.

I may have forgotten something, but I just wanted to post it on here in case anyone has suggestions to make it better. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom