Help me, PLEASE, find a compliant chicken coop and run !

You can absolutely get a prefab coop that is the right size for four or more hens. You just won’t find it at tractor supply etc.

For example, we got a prefab barn from these people, and they do chicken coops as well:
https://www.horizonstructures.com/chicken-coops/chicken-coops
I would note that their barns are actually constructed by another company and Horizon and a number of other companies act as middlemen. I think it is likely to be the same with the chicken coops, so you will probably find a number of companies selling similar products.

I know people still find fault with these structures (particularly their ventilation) but in terms of size and strength (real lumber) they are head and shoulders above box store/catalog offerings.

That does still leave you with the issue of the run, but a dog kennel beefed up with hardware cloth is a reasonable option. If you have the space in your yard, and plan to keep the chickens restricted to the run, go as large as you can. You will find that the minimum 10 ft.² really isn’t enough to keep chickens happy.
Thank you SOO much. I love the coops that I saw. I am waiting for them to send me a price list. I am sure they are expensive, but I am anxious to get it. Thanks again, friend.

my city has similar requirements. i went with the snaploc large coop (i have 5 hens its good for around 8 standard sized birds) and attached a 66sq ft metal framed run that i bought off amazon and then covered in hardware cloth to keep critters that laugh at chicken wire out. the wire that came with it i used folded double under the tarp, just to make it harder for anything to get in from above and keep my dog out below more hardware cloth as a skirt about a foot and a half all around the outside, covered in landscape cloth and buried under mulch. i cut and framed in a portal for the coop door on one of the narrow ends and put the coop outside the enclosure to maximize useable space.
1699856611548.png

I don't want to keep chickens in anything less than about 33sqft per bird of run space and 10 + 10/per chicken of coop sq footage. This would still include an hour or two of free run time per day, when possible.
Without free run time, they would need even more run space.
"Cooped up" chickens do bad things.
Also there should be at least 4 chickens to a flock.

Back
Top Bottom