Help! Mean broody?

Karuh

Chirping
Jun 26, 2023
This is my second broody hen to hatch out eggs. My girl bam bam was flawless with her first attempt! Her sister pebbles has pecked and cracked open 3 of her eggs during the 21 days and this was her first one that made it to hatch. I’ve noticed any little movement it makes under her she starts pecking at it. Bam bam chicks are a little over a week old. Should I see if Bam Bam will accept her chicks or wait for more to hatch and let Pebbles get use to them??? 😩
IMG_1384.jpeg

I think you will have to raise pebble's babies yourself if you want them to live. And I'd also not have Pebbles try again, she'd be in my flock as a laying hen only. Newly hatched chicks won't do well trying to keep up with week olds, and broody hens don't count them, and can leave laggards behind.
It's also why we don't have broodies raise standards and bantams at the same time either.
Mary

I think you will have to raise pebble's babies yourself if you want them to live. And I'd also not have Pebbles try again, she'd be in my flock as a laying hen only. Newly hatched chicks won't do well trying to keep up with week olds, and broody hens don't count them, and can leave laggards behind.
It's also why we don't have broodies raise standards and bantams at the same time either.
Mary
She will most definitely not do this again! 😠😢 thank you!

Back
Top Bottom