Help! My Bantam hen keeps falling over....

NewChickyMommy

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
West Virginia
My little bantam hen started falling over yesterday. She doesn't completely go over but she'll almost fall over backwards or to the sides. I have never seen her do this before... I seperated her out from the other hens. She is molting but last time she molted she didn't do this. She is still eating and drinking. Is there a reason she's falling over? I don't know what to do :'[

It sounds like it could be neurological in nature, but dehydration or a hard molt could be making it worse. I would start vitamins and electrolytes right away, just in case of dehydration or possible symptoms of wry neck. Has she been vaccinated for Mareks disease? Keep a close eye on her , and make sure that she is drinking the electrolytes. Feed her some scrambled egg for selenium and protein. Avian Super Pack vitamins are very good, and , most TSC or feed stores carry vitamins with electrolytes, and some even contain lactobacillus or probiotics as well. If she shows any twisting of her neck, or any other signs, such as weakness or paralysis of a leg or wing, let us know.

Thank you for your input! She was vaccinated for Marek's. Nothing seems to be paralyzed. She has an attitude if I try to mess with her wings and pulls them from me. She can walk when she isn't falling. It doesn't seem to look like she's twisting her neck either. I just don't want her to suffer. If it's something she can't overcome I'd rather cull her than let her suffer :/

I would give the vitamins and electrolytes a try because we never know when they get bullied away from water or food, and I know that a couple of mine right now are molting and acting a little squirrelly. Wry neck symptoms include walking backward and flipping over backward, and are thought to be symptoms of vitamin deficiency, a head injury, or some diseases, but dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can definitely cause it too. Here is a link to read: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

Back
Top Bottom