Help, my chicks are shrink wrapping, what do I do

minpinmama

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
We've had nine chicks hatch on their own, but one I just helped, he had already had dry membrane,
I've been gone for a few hours and my bator lost humidity. I have put more water in and started to help chick #11
but some blood showed and I stopped. (Had him wrapped in a warm wet cloth. He pipped over 12 hrs ago, is chirping but getting weak and no progress in 12 hrs figured he may need help.
There are two more with no progress, other than bring the humidity level back up, should I help other who had not made any progress? If they started to shrink wrap will getting the humidity up help the others or is it to late to rehumidify them?

I was able to get one out, the other is struggling, one the shell is cracked but is covered in the white and you can hear him chirping. I'd read about wrapping the egg in a wet warm paper towel or cloth and gently trying to slowly get it free, and if there is any bleeding stop, return the bator and try again in 15 to 20 mins,
Is this not correct information?

The bator seemed to use a lot of it's water between the time I left and the 4 to 5 hrs later when I returned.

Last edited:
Update: Helped three out and two made it fine, the other is working on getting out now.
Watched some youtube video's to confirm what I heard and read. Right now we have about 11 or 12 hatched today.

Back
Top Bottom