HELP !!!! My dog is killing our ducks!

What kind of training does your dog have?

Teach her the "leave it" command. I have one female that took me a whole year to finally get her to stop killing my chickens. She would eat them too. Thankfully it was only from our rooster flock. But one time I caught her in the act chasing a hen that had gotten out of the pen and I sternly yelled to leave it and ever since then she stopped.

She even helped me teach my Great Pyrenees not to mess with chickens. He's 11 months old and doesn't bother them when they free range (unsupervised). Whenever we saw him chase chickens as an itty bitty puppy we would tell him leave it! Then my trained dog would chase him and tackle him and he would stop.

Even though he's twice her size now he still acts like a puppy with her. I guess because she was his mentor.

Hysop that is how the older dogs train the younger dogs. My grandson has LGD's with his sheep and will buy pups to train. He'll keep them at the house to gentle and get used to being handled. When they start messing with the goats he'll take them out and put with the big dogs and they will tun over and ball them up like your older dog done your pup.

Takes time and patience.I have used shock collars to break them . BB guns also many years before shock collars were available.The pup making game of the dicks starts as playing and the more they run make noise just ups his game.I have even test them later on get my wife to leave in my truck and hide on the grounds and watch . Soon as the dog tries to make game zapp or string his hip with BB gun .No not a pellet rifle that break skin or way worse.Main thing is never let him alone on the walk or yard while unsupervised. Afther the puppy stage wears off he be more settle and when he does get to call to rumble he's a destroyer of anything that messes with his ducks.A broke dog catches on he's worth his weight in gold.They learn what you allow on the yard and so on .Cheers

Many have covered a lot of good advice. I think leash work followed by off leash work with an ecollar. My doberman has been doing well so far but he has had baby steps of introduction and is never alone with them. I don't think I'll ever trust him that far.

Back
Top Bottom