Help my duck ate water proof adhesive tape.

Acean

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
My duck ate tape
I was using a water proof adhesive tape to fix angle wing and she got one wing lose and I cleaned all bedding and could not find it so i think she or my other duck ate it

Make sure she is not struggling to breathe, and give her some water to help the tape go through her body (if she did swallow it).
However, I don't believe she did swallow it....Ducks and chickens usually know what is good to eat and what is not. One time I thought my hens ate some old bar bearings, that spilled outside (because I saw her peck them) but she is fine! So, I am assuming she spit the bearings out.
As long as your duck isnt acting lethargic, having breathing problems, defecating issues, etc... I believe she is okay! :)
But, just to be on the safe side, keep an eye on her.

She is having diarrhea but she was having it before i thought she ate tape

I think you might be jumping to conclusions. Tape would be pretty hard to swallow, especially for a duck young enough to get angel wing. It's not impossible, but getting stuck under a wing or to the bottom of a foot seems more likely.

If a duck were to swallow tape it likely would stay in the crop and be regurgitated within a few days. If it's small enough to make it to the gizzard and your duck has access to grit it should pass on its own, especially if it doesn't have much plastic in it.

But unless you see more evidence than that the tape can't be found I wouldn't do more than keep an eye on them. Watch for a loss of appetite or sluggish behavior. If you think you see something, offer a special treat like fresh peas (or thawed frozen peas). If the treat is ignored then you might have a problem.
But I'm not going to go into much detail about solutions because the problem seem to me to be speculative right now.

How big was the piece of tape?

As a precautionary measure in case, she did ingest the piece, you may monitor her for the next few days and ensure she is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. I would also restrict fibrous treats for a few days, and if you'd like add a little mineral oil to her feed to help encourage passage of the potential piece. It is often better to be on the precautious side with these issues rather than wait till symptoms develop.

She is having diarrhea but she was having it before i thought she ate tape

Duck droppings are often watery so what might appear like diarrhea to us is fairly normal considering their water intake. If you notice a complete lack of fecal matter this could be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom