Help. My last chance

DonnaDonut55

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
Please help me. We have 6 hens. Had them over 1 year and all was fine until 1 hen had a prolapse. She is fine now and laying etc BUT we have tried everything to integrate her back gradually. They now all sleep in the coop at night and they all roam the garden during the day, most days but when they all in the run they corner this one hen and peck peck peck. It’s horrible to see. Breaks my heart. So much so we have made her a corner of the run with chicken wire and she is fine in there. When she wants to lay she flies over but can’t get back in her corner so and I hear her and out her back but majority of the time I’m home and they are in the garden. But we are going away and I can’t bare the idea of her feeling abandoned. I am honestly thinking of getting rid of all of them, obviously the one hen separately from the rest. This is my last chance of asking for help. Thank you.

Unfortunately that happens sometimes in a flock. Seems instincts tell chickens to go after any odd acting or unwell birds. It's a survival instinct to drive them out or remove them permanently.

Having a smaller set up will often make things worse. How big is your set up? If there's not enough room for them to get away from each other they will go after the lower members.

Some will say to remove the aggressor for a while to reset the pecking order. I usually pen the one being picked on separately. Once they are afraid of the flock it can make the attacks worse. Sometimes keeping them penned separately but within sight for a few weeks to months can help to change the dynamics.

Some have used pinless peepers with great success.

Lots of things you can try. Not all will work in every situation. I personally would leave her penned for her own safety, especially if you are going away.

Thank you Oldhenlikesdogs I really appreciate any help from here. She has been separated since March/April (begins the chicken wire divide) after she returned from her poorly state. BUT she flies over the chicken wire divide to pop in the coop to lay an egg bless 💖 her but she has never got back so sits on the top perch out of the way of the others. If I am not here she will be sat there until evening when my daughter will be home and put her back. She will jump done sometimes but nit
Long enough to eat or drink because it is like she is traumatised with the pecking. But when they are in the garden roaming free it’s like having different hens. We have had chickens before and never had anything like this, we must have been lucky. 🤷‍♀️. The run is 12x10 feet with their water and food readily available and some times a treat ball or a hanging cabbage to keep them occupied. But as I say majority of time they are in the garden but not when we go away.

I'd make her a nest box out of a 5 gallon bucket and then cover the top of her corner with some netting of some kind that is available to you to keep her in for another few weeks to months. A way is needed so one hen at a time can be let into her place rather than just putting her back in with the flock all at once. Sort of a reverse of the normal. This is just my idea of what I would do with this problem.

I'd make her a nest box out of a 5 gallon bucket and then cover the top of her corner with some netting of some kind that is available to you to keep her in for another few weeks to months. A way is needed so one hen at a time can be let into her place rather than just putting her back in with the flock all at once. Sort of a reverse of the normal. This is just my idea of what I would do with this problem.

Thank you for that idea. I did try with a plastic box a few weeks ago but I didnt think to cover the area so she couldn't pop out. Thank you so much. I am going to organise that. It is so nice to have you all here to help and advise. Thank you. will keep you posted.

I have ordered a black 50 gallon / Litre bucket and will put it in her area in a corner. Hopefully this will be a part time
Solution. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I don't think mine would ever use a bucket for a nest. You will need to add some fake eggs to whatever you set up for her to lay in.

The reason she wants to lay so desperately in the coop is because she feels it's safe for her future offspring. Hens like to lay where others are laying.

It also may be hard to convince her not to want to lay in the coop. Your best bet is to confine her better so she can't get out for her own safety. Chickens aren't really good with reasoning. They want what they want and it can be hard to change their minds.

I don't think mine would ever use a bucket for a nest. You will need to add some fake eggs to whatever you set up for her to lay in.

The reason she wants to lay so desperately in the coop is because she feels it's safe for her future offspring. Hens like to lay where others are laying.

It also may be hard to convince her not to want to lay in the coop. Your best bet is to confine her better so she can't get out for her own safety. Chickens aren't really good with reasoning. They want what they want and it can be hard to change their minds.
Now I have another issue. Another chicken has become broody and is sitting in one of the two nesting boxes. I have read up about what I can do. I do not have a broody breaker. I could shut the coop during the day but she could get back in there in the evening. 🙈 I am lost. Please advise. They are also still pecking my other hen. I only have 6 hens in total Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom