Help! My rooster ripped a toenail back while fighting!

ebear82

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 23, 2009
My little banty rooster has been being picked on by my big rooster...but he doesn't just run away, he fights back. Anyway, this has been going on for a few days. He's lost a lot of neck feathers, and today he apparently ripped a toenail backwards and now it's just hanging there and he is bleeding. It's not like it's gushing blood, but it is bleeding enough that he's mangaged to wipe it all over his other leg. I'm worried that now he'll get picked on even more. Any ideas? I only have the one coop and it's snowing here so I can't kick anyone out.

Do you have some Quick-stop? If not try flour. It wil stop the bleeding. Silly bird, doesn't he know not to fight the BIG guys?
big_smile.png
By the way
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! You'll find lots of great info on the forum.
thumbsup.gif

b.hromada :

Do you have some Quick-stop? If not try flour. It wil stop the bleeding. Silly bird, doesn't he know not to fight the BIG guys?
big_smile.png
By the way
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! You'll find lots of great info on the forum.
thumbsup.gif

Agree.
welcome-byc.gif

Dont pull it off though, Dont wont it to become ingrown.​

Thanks...I've got him in his own cage in the coop. The big rooster is still circling him and scaring him. I put an ad on Craigslist to see if I can rehome the big guy. He's tearing up my hens pretty bad too
sad.png
. THanks for the help!

I just went out to check on him and he's in his cage shivering. I know it's cold, but he's under the heat lamp and none of the others are shivering. Is he in shock? I didn't think his injuries were that bad. Do you think he's just nervous being in the cage? I hope he's okay...

Thanks for all of the advice! He spent the night and all of today in the cage and the bleeding stopped quickly. I ended up rehoming the nasty rooster today, so I was able to let the little guy back out and all is well again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom