help, need info about my hen

secondhandrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
My hen (barred Rock) is acting droopy, sitting around and not eating, we came home from errands and found her with yellow whitish stuff on her rear end. She acted sluggist yesterday but I didn't think anything was wrong. I brought her in and put her in a warm
sitz bath and cleaned her up and at present time I have her in a cat carrier. Don't know what is happening or what I can do for her. any help would be appreciated. She has been a good layer in the past few months. I thought maybe she was egg bound but when I put her in the warm water I couldn't feel anything around her vent.

One of my pullets had these same symptoms. After reading a whole lot of info from the BYC forum, I checked for lice and found them. Even though I had DE in the coop, my hens free range and pick up critters from wild birds and the woods, I guess. I dusted my pullet with Sevin. Because of the diarrhea (the white stuff on her rear end) I also wormed her with Wazine, and then a second dose a week later. This helped. She also had coccidiosis, which I treated with a medication from the vet (Coci, I think it was called). Coccidiosis can be diagnosed with a fecal test.

Good luck with your girl.

Last edited:
I had a RSL with the same symptoms, in fact if you post again, I am guessing she died?
Mine did....I assume mine was egg bound, was passing the inside of the egg, but the shells
were still inside, I did not know what it was till it was too late.

let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom