Help needed ASAP please

annmarie1810

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
North east England
Part of my chicken run is plastic roof and the other has a big plastic sheet over atm until can access more plastic ...

We had bark down,got told to remove as it can to mouldy so now it’s just mud!!

i have a problem with the run been water logged due to the severe rainy Weather

please can anyone tell me what I can pop down on the ground to help with this issue....
If not 1 thing lately isn’t another

they have a coop they sleep in & a large shed been currently build but I need to sort this run out ASAP

appreciate Everyone taking time to read this

I'm in North Florida, where we've been getting lots of rain, on top of clay soils. With ducks. Mud was a potential issue here, too, particularly under the watering cups and automatic bowl.

I sloped the ground slightly away from the coop, and put down a layer of river stones (not pea gravel) to allow plenty of room for water to move through and away. Yesterday, I had to hose it down to wash the poop through it for the first time in several weeks. A little later, they busted the mount for the automatic bowl, and emptied 60 gallons of water from my reserve tank through it. Yet they still had a firm, not muddy surface to walk on.

Not sure about availability or cost for you across the pond, as it were, but may be worth looking into.

I built mine up with dirt but it turned out that the 2x4's around the base of the run held water in like a dam. We ended up putting in two French drains. It was not a super cheap addition but my run rarely stays wet for long.

I can be moldy, but not always.
Fix drainage issues first.
Then the bark and maybe some straw, thin layers of both at first.
Plenty of straw down now and they seem very happy
Too much straw can mold too....mix some bark in with it for air space and so it doesn't mat down and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom