Help needed quickly- What should I do with this assisted hatch chick?

bsherman3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I recently had a pretty good hatch, especially for my first time and using a styrofoam bator. I waited two days after most of the checks had hatched (3 days after the first) and then candled the eggs that were left. I had one BCM egg that had pipped internally. I made an external pip and the membrane was very dry so I moistened it. Eventually I had to uncap the egg and moisten and pull back the inner membrane because the chick was stuck. At that point, maybe I should have let the chick go. Well, the chick pushed out and absorbed the little yolk that was left. I left it in the bator to dry out. It has been two days and the chick is still peeping but just lying on its side. It can't stand up. It is fluffing up but the head still looks very wet. It has a small area where there is still dry inner membrane stuck to its back. It also has a couple bald areas. Should I just cull this chick at this point? Is there any use in giving it a bath and blow drying it? It also probably needs some water with electrolytes now right?

How's your chick? I would assist in getting the chick upright even if it needs propping up until it becomes strong enough. Do some gentle physical therapy by streaching the chicks muscles and seeif that helps. If the chick doesn't show improvement it may not. You'll have to make the hard decision then but atleast you gave it a chance.

I gave it a chance. Cleaned it up and blow dried it. Gave it water and vitamins. It was clear this chick was never going to walk so I had to cull it. This did put me closer to the camp of never assisting a hatch

Back
Top Bottom