Help needed with integrating 3 different broods

Jojosine

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Scotland
We've got a bit of an unforeseen problem in that we have two broody hens sitting on separate nests and one (possibly) broody sitting somewhere in the hedgerow on a nest (but we don't know where). So three broodies in total.
All three are estimated to hatch roundabout the same time, give or take 2 - 4 days difference.

Will the missing broody come back to the main coop once the eggs have hatched?

What is the best way to integrate all of them to the main flock? Will the mothers protect their own chicks and/or will they peck the other's chicks?

There is plenty of space during daytime for everyone to stay out of each others way, but for the night we currently have 2 broody coops and one large main coop, so nothing for the runaway mum. However we could partition one of the broody coops into two.

The runaway broody wasn't part of the plan, but nature ain't perfect and if she comes back with a bunch of fluff balls, then I won't complain.

I haven’t had this happen to me but a friend of mine couldn’t find their chicken for a month, she had assumed the worst but then she came back with 5 baby chicks because she was just nesting in a nearby bush, so maybe that happened to your hen. I wish you the best of luck!

The runaway broody has returned with 7 chicks! This wasn't really our plan, but because our chickens have a mega area to roam, she just disappeared 3 weeks ago and obviously had been brooding out eggs.
So, now we've got 3 mamas and a total of 13 babies.
We've got them in separate smallish coops and separate little runs, positioned so they can see each other but not mingle.
When they are big enough we'll try and integrate all of them at the same time with the main flock.

Attachments

• P1050482.JPG
    P1050482.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 7
  • weeBlackHiding.jpg
    weeBlackHiding.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 7
  • white_outsideA.jpg
    white_outsideA.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom