Help, new chickens were sick

TxChris

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
Long- thanks in advance.

On 12/23 I went to pick up three 10 month old Barred Rocks from a chicken farm.
When I arrive to pick them up, they were wet, muddy, and smelled awful.
Plucked saddles, disheveled feathers, fowl pox and dry combs. I had driven an hour for them and I have a bleeding heart.

No sooner did I hit the highway when I heard a wet sneeze.

I immediately decided to scrap the coop and run I built inside my existing flocks run.
So, I converted my garage as best I could.

The stench was AWFUL, they needed to be bathed. By the time I got to the third gal (the one who was sneezing), she had full-blown wheezing, rattling, open mouth breathing, darkened comb and snot.
I kept them inside until dry and used space heaters to keep my garage comfortable for them.

After settling them in, I got in touch with the seller, who said the sick one had indigestion. I had sent her photos and video and with her 15 years of animal medicine- indigestion.
Now, I'm only a year into owning chickens, but I'm a nerd. I research for fun. I wasn't buying it, but I'm always open to being wrong. Especially when I want to be.

Fast forward. Overnight Sick Chick #1 was worse, deep green feces. And now #2 was exhibiting the same symptoms.
It's Christmas Eve.
I'm an absolute mess over these birds.

By evening, #3 is sick and all had deep green / liquid diarrhea. They don't know how to roost and won't get out of the crap- it's the saddest scene.

I've made this really long, and I apologize, but this is what I'm getting at.

While we practice BIOSECURITY, my husband realized he had walked through the garage (with the sick chickens) and out to the backyard IN THE SAME SHOES.
I'll blame his hysteric wife (ahem) since she was losing her mind over chickens, trying to make Christmas magical for the kids, hosting family, cooking, etc., and asking him to do too many things at once.
Anyhow, the girls were up for the night at the time, but they free range during the day.

The farm took the chickens back, "no refunds", on 12/26.

Today, 12/27, one of my girls is sneezing and has a little snot from her nose. She's my Legbar, large comb- and it's gotten cold the last couple nights.
Their coop has been around 40°, no drafts and 100% dry. I clean the poop boards every two days, all was well and normal so far.

But I'm absolutely terrified something was carried to them.

Is there anything I can do, preventative, etc.? I'm worrying myself sick over this. These girls are pets, I adore them.
How likely or easily could something have spread to them on shoes or clothes (no direct contact)?

I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 20231226_102313.jpg
    20231226_102313.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 19
  • VideoCapture_20231226-092940.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231226-092940.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 4
You need to contact the authorities for that "farm". Every authority you can think of. That's a massive problem. Fb posts, next door etc.
I hope that your security measures were good enough, they sound good to me. Did you use any sanitizer?
I'm so sorry about this whole situation, I can't imagine it.
I would have culled the sick birds and had a necropsy performed to confirm their illness, it would have been kinder for them and given you peace if mind to at least know what you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom