Help please. Duck with egg broken inside

Alittlebitofsunshine

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
It look like one of my duck my have a broken egg inside of her. I walked outside and noticed she had just pooped and it looks like there yolk around it and coming out of her bottom. She pooped again after and looked like egg white dripping. I don’t see any shell at all. When I let her out this afternoon she had laid a full sized solid egg already today so I’m surprised this is an issue. Now she just standing still and keeps trying to poop more. Could it be that she formed the inside of an egg but not the shell because she already laid an egg today? Should I let her just keep trying to pass what’s in there or do something more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The picture is what I saw come out.
IMG_3076.jpeg

yes it could be a shell-less egg i have seen those occasionally over the years. is she a young ducks an just recently started to lay ?
what you can do is give her calcium , it both helps her get out whatever she’s trying to get out and it helps her form Nice solid shells. What do you feed your ducks and do you give them oyster shells on the side in a dish for free choice? You should do that and also , either get a bottle of liquid calcium gluconate, ( i get it at tractor supply) and give her one ML orally per day for up to a week, or give her calcium citrate with vitamin D3 pill ( for humans but you can give to ducks) one of those a day will work too.

yes it could be a shell-less egg i have seen those occasionally over the years. is she a young ducks an just recently started to lay ?
what you can do is give her calcium , it both helps her get out whatever she’s trying to get out and it helps her form Nice solid shells. What do you feed your ducks and do you give them oyster shells on the side in a dish for free choice? You should do that and also , either get a bottle of liquid calcium gluconate, ( i get it at tractor supply) and give her one ML orally per day for up to a week, or give her calcium citrate with vitamin D3 pill ( for humans but you can give to ducks) one of those a day will work too.
She’s about 6 months old. Been laying almost everyday for the last monarch and a half probably. I do give her oyster shells and good quality food from a local feed farm (non-gmo and soy free). Plus she gets to wander freely in the yard for several hours each day. Maybe it’s just because she’s young. Last week she laid her normal shelled egg then laid 2 small soft shell eggs later in the day. Maybe her body is just trying to figure it all out. I’ll get some calcium gluconate to try tomorrow.

I put her in a warm bath for a little while this evening. She passed more of what looked like egg white but before I took her out I saw what appeared to be poop without egg mixed. It was in the water so it’s hard to be sure.

Thanks so much for the advice.

It look like one of my duck my have a broken egg inside of her. I walked outside and noticed she had just pooped and it looks like there yolk around it and coming out of her bottom. She pooped again after and looked like egg white dripping. I don’t see any shell at all. When I let her out this afternoon she had laid a full sized solid egg already today so I’m surprised this is an issue. Now she just standing still and keeps trying to poop more. Could it be that she formed the inside of an egg but not the shell because she already laid an egg today? Should I let her just keep trying to pass what’s in there or do something more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The picture is what I saw come out.View attachment 3631933
how is she doing today?

Back
Top Bottom