Help please - possible vent prolapse?!

ED1995

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2023
Hello
Found one of my girls with a mucky looking butt yesterday morning, had a meeting and planned to clean her up on lunch. When I came back out I could see some fresh blood.
Separated her for an Epsom salt soak and really struggled to clean off the white liquid, once I did it looks as if there's a prolapse also.

Treatment so far:
Separated and kept in a dog crate with low lighting
Bathed area with Epsom salts twice so far
Used a paste of Hemorrhoid cream/sugar water on the prolapse
Also lubricated with Vaseline and tried to gently push it back in - the hen will not tolerate this at all and starts to struggle.
Added electrolytes to water and some colloidal silver.
(She is drinking quite a lot and the ground underneath her is constantly wet like she's leaking fluid, the fluid has a slightly bloody tint to it) There are still some droppings but they are small

I've got her on a corn only diet just now as I've read mixed things about giving layers pellets when discouraging laying

I've got some liquid calcium+ vit D arriving tomorrow

Is there anything else I can do? I'm open to suggestions or happy to hear if anything I've been doing is wrong

I also have pics of the area if required. Feeling absolutely awful that she's stuck in a crate suffering but absolutely don't want to risk her being back in with the others.

Thanks

Hello
Found one of my girls with a mucky looking butt yesterday morning, had a meeting and planned to clean her up on lunch. When I came back out I could see some fresh blood.
Separated her for an Epsom salt soak and really struggled to clean off the white liquid, once I did it looks as if there's a prolapse also.

Treatment so far:
Separated and kept in a dog crate with low lighting
Bathed area with Epsom salts twice so far
Used a paste of Hemorrhoid cream/sugar water on the prolapse
Also lubricated with Vaseline and tried to gently push it back in - the hen will not tolerate this at all and starts to struggle.
Added electrolytes to water and some colloidal silver.
(She is drinking quite a lot and the ground underneath her is constantly wet like she's leaking fluid, the fluid has a slightly bloody tint to it) There are still some droppings but they are small

I've got her on a corn only diet just now as I've read mixed things about giving layers pellets when discouraging laying

I've got some liquid calcium+ vit D arriving tomorrow

Is there anything else I can do? I'm open to suggestions or happy to hear if anything I've been doing is wrong

I also have pics of the area if required. Feeling absolutely awful that she's stuck in a crate suffering but absolutely don't want to risk her being back in with the others.

Thanks
She might be egg bound, sometimes chickens will double lay in a day. If that's the case, she's not going to stop trying to push out the egg, and therefore the prolapsed vent.

She's going to struggle when you try to push the vent back in, regardless of if she's still trying to lay another egg. You just gotta go slow, and be as gentle as you can. Typically I start pushing after they've had 15 minutes in the bath already so everything has relaxed a bit.

The only thing that you haven't done that I would recommend is giving her calcium right now. If you have tums, you can soak it in water so you can give it to her. Calcium citrate is better (if you have it), but tums is calcium carbonate, and will still help.

She is probably leaking fluid. One, her guts are angry at the moment, and trying to lubricant themselves to fix whatever is going on, and 2 she's quite possibly got another egg blocking her colca from doing it's job.

Make sure she has plenty of water, and as best you can, try to give her a warm, somewhat humid place to be.

They actually like the dark dog crate thing, one they get used to it. It's quite, safe, and warm.

Tbf, I haven't personally managed to save a hen in this position, but I am reciting the info from an article I found a while ago. Feel free to message back with any other questions.

You're doing really well so far.

How long are you keeping her in the bath?

Can you post a picture of the prolapse? I would give a dose of the calcium today. Sometimes if the others see the red prolapse tissue, they will peck at it and injure the vent causing bleeding and possible damage. Keep the prolapse tissue from ever dripping out with honey, sugar paste, a cream or liquid. A warm soak daily may help to heal her, and sometimes it can take a week for it to stay in once it goes back in. Keep her separated even in a dog crate inside the coop as long as her prolapse is showing or until the vent is healed.

She might be egg bound, sometimes chickens will double lay in a day. If that's the case, she's not going to stop trying to push out the egg, and therefore the prolapsed vent.

She's going to struggle when you try to push the vent back in, regardless of if she's still trying to lay another egg. You just gotta go slow, and be as gentle as you can. Typically I start pushing after they've had 15 minutes in the bath already so everything has relaxed a bit.

The only thing that you haven't done that I would recommend is giving her calcium right now. If you have tums, you can soak it in water so you can give it to her. Calcium citrate is better (if you have it), but tums is calcium carbonate, and will still help.

She is probably leaking fluid. One, her guts are angry at the moment, and trying to lubricant themselves to fix whatever is going on, and 2 she's quite possibly got another egg blocking her colca from doing it's job.

Make sure she has plenty of water, and as best you can, try to give her a warm, somewhat humid place to be.

They actually like the dark dog crate thing, one they get used to it. It's quite, safe, and warm.

Tbf, I haven't personally managed to save a hen in this position, but I am reciting the info from an article I found a while ago. Feel free to message back with any other questions.

Thanks for that
Currently only been able to bath her for 15 mins or so as I've been working and then it's been dark but I'll give her a good long soak tonight

Thanks so much for all your info

Can you post a picture of the prolapse? I would give a dose of the calcium today. Sometimes if the others see the red prolapse tissue, they will peck at it and injure the vent causing bleeding and possible damage. Keep the prolapse tissue from ever dripping out with honey, sugar paste, a cream or liquid. A warm soak daily may help to heal her, and sometimes it can take a week for it to stay in once it goes back in. Keep her separated even in a dog crate inside the coop as long as her prolapse is showing or until the vent is healed.
Sure I'll post a pic, @

They aren't the clearest picture and I've been really struggling to soak off all the white gunk as above I've been really struggling for time (typically this has happened on my busiest working week of the year so far) but I'll give her a good long soak this evening. She's been separated since I initially noticed.
I'll try get better pictures tonight, it's just so hard she's a very flighty chicken and I have no one to help 😭
My liquid calcium arrives today so I'll dose her some of that when I'm home
She's been drinking all of the electrolyte water/colloidal silver which is good

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_134717054.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240305_134717054.MP.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240305_134718759.jpg
    PXL_20240305_134718759.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 9
Sure I'll post a pic, @

They aren't the clearest picture and I've been really struggling to soak off all the white gunk as above I've been really struggling for time (typically this has happened on my busiest working week of the year so far) but I'll give her a good long soak this evening. She's been separated since I initially noticed.
I'll try get better pictures tonight, it's just so hard she's a very flighty chicken and I have no one to help 😭
My liquid calcium arrives today so I'll dose her some of that when I'm home
She's been drinking all of the electrolyte water/colloidal silver which is good

UPDATE!!!!!

I managed to finally get the prolapse in on Sunday evening and it has stayed in ever since.
I have kept her seperate still to monitor and discourage laying while she heals...was hoping to get opinions on when I should put her back in wth the flock? I was debating trying it tomorrow as that'll have been the prolapse back in for 5 days or is that too soon should I keep her out longer? thoughts?

Thanks for everyones help, I am so pleased that I managed to fix her - just this final hurdle now!

It is good the prolapse has stayed in. Can you try reintroducing her today inside a wire dog crate with food, water, and bedding or pads? You can do some supervised visits today to see if there is any bullying. If that works out, and she goes off to do normal exploring with no one picking on her, then she may not need to the dog crate.

It is good the prolapse has stayed in. Can you try reintroducing her today inside a wire dog crate with food, water, and bedding or pads? You can do some supervised visits today to see if there is any bullying. If that works out, and she goes off to do normal exploring with no one picking on her, then she may not need to the dog crate.
Yeah dog crate was my plan - but the weather today is miserable and I don't want her getting soggy as the only place I can put the crate isn't well covered and then putting a tarp over her would defeat the purpose haha.

I was more concerned about the daylight and her potentially trying to lay when she's back to normal coop life, not sure if I should rest her more or just let her get back to it and hope for the best

Glad that shes doing better.
If you haven't already, get her off the corn only diet, layer feed doesn't encourage laying, it's a myth.
Feeding corn only, with cause Nutrition deficiency and fat build up which can increase the likelihood of prolapse.

Glad that shes doing better.
If you haven't already, get her off the corn only diet, layer feed doesn't encourage laying, it's a myth.
Feeding corn only, with cause Nutrition deficiency and fat build up which can increase the likelihood of prolapse.
She's been back on layers for a couple of days now after I read this also, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom