Help potty training

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
Hello All,
I recently bought 2 adorable New Zealand bunnies. They are now 2 months old. One of them has already mastered the litter box, the other chooses to urinate just beside the litter box and poop anywhere in the cage. I am trying to develop a routine. There is a positive; they no longer pee and poo when they're out of cage. I did some research and it said use kitty litter/don't use kitty litter... and so on. [Photo of cage attached]. So I need some expert advice on how to train these oh so cute buns!
The two of them live inside a large dog crate. On the bottom I have used hay or newspaper and now shredded paper. In the litter box I tried newspaper and now kitty litter.

They are not neutered or spayed. I know this would help with urine odor, but I don't want that.
I clean their cage daily, sometimes twice and I'm picking up poops and dropping them into the litter box, hoping they will see that's where they go!
They want their cage door left open so they can get out whenever they want. It says the bunnies should remain in their cage until potty trained. I didn't know? They love their free time.
I don't want to put them outside. I wouldn't be able to play with them or spend time with my dog and birds. Our winters can go as low as -35 and they would be in the barn shed with my chickens where I keep the shed cool so they can get outside this winter.
I've attached photos of my cute buns, LOL and to show you their cage setup.
I know this can take some time. I just need to find the right way to do it.

Attachments

• DSCF2792.JPG
    DSCF2792.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF2816.JPG
    DSCF2816.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 7
If that plastic Tupperware thing is their litter box, they're going to need a much higher one. A cat litter box works great. No smaller or the won't use it well. First lay a puppy pad of newspaper on the bottom. Then full it with lots of hay. And a bit of litter. Don't use cat litter as it has clay in it which they can injest.
Whenever they poop outside of it put it I the litter box. The pee can just be cleaned.
They will usually go in one corner.

And yes, it does help to keep them in a smaller area while litter training. I would use a dog playpen instead of a dog crate.
They'll still need 4 hours of free roaming time a day though.
I noticed that you have bedding I the crate too. Bedding like that isn't necessary for them. They love fleece blankets though.
And they need a lot more hay than that. Most people just let them eat it out of the litter box since they eat while "going" most of the time, but if you do that they'll need fresh hay at all times in the litter box.
I recommend offering them a separate way to get fresh hay as well.

Also, I would switch to a water bowl instead of the one you are currently using. What you're using will work, but a large water bowl will provide them with more water. They drink as much as a large dog does.

Getting them fixed will help so so much though. Not only does this help with potty training, but they will also become much more friendly. I'm not sire how old they are but rabbits go through a teenage faze where their hormones start acting up and they become destructive and not so friendly.

I hope this helps, amd if you have any other questions please let me know! I would be more than happy to help :)

If that plastic Tupperware thing is their litter box, they're going to need a much higher one. A cat litter box works great. No smaller or the won't use it well. First lay a puppy pad of newspaper on the bottom. Then full it with lots of hay. And a bit of litter. Don't use cat litter as it has clay in it which they can injest.
Whenever they poop outside of it put it I the litter box. The pee can just be cleaned.
They will usually go in one corner.

And yes, it does help to keep them in a smaller area while litter training. I would use a dog playpen instead of a dog crate.
They'll still need 4 hours of free roaming time a day though.
I noticed that you have bedding I the crate too. Bedding like that isn't necessary for them. They love fleece blankets though.
And they need a lot more hay than that. Most people just let them eat it out of the litter box since they eat while "going" most of the time, but if you do that they'll need fresh hay at all times in the litter box.
I recommend offering them a separate way to get fresh hay as well.

Also, I would switch to a water bowl instead of the one you are currently using. What you're using will work, but a large water bowl will provide them with more water. They drink as much as a large dog does.

Getting them fixed will help so so much though. Not only does this help with potty training, but they will also become much more friendly. I'm not sire how old they are but rabbits go through a teenage faze where their hormones start acting up and they become destructive and not so friendly.

I hope this helps, amd if you have any other questions please let me know! I would be more than happy to help :)
Hello,
Thank you for your response and suggestions.
Do you also have bunnies? My little buns are 2 months old.
For the litter box, would a plastic dishpan work if I can't get a cat litter box? I can't get rabbit litter so would another kind work if it doesn't contain clay? In their litter box I lay newspaper down and top it with a thin layer of kitty litter. They don't poo and pee when they're out so they seem to be trained outside the cage. One bunny is using the litter box, but not the other. I moved the tray to the spots where it's peeing, but it continues to go just outside of it? Is this because it's not deep enough?
I use shredded paper on their floor in the cage, is that okay? Or should I just lay newspaper or hay on the floor? I've used newpaper, shredded paper and hay on the bottom of cage but they still poop and pee!?

Their exercise is every hour roughly. I let them out a lot :) They've gotten into my plants so they are now bunny-proofed. They play and roam in our entryway [7 x17 feet]
I saw rabbit hammocks and they seem to use it because there is pee and poo in it. But yes, I lay fleece cloths down and they lay on them too.

Whatever hay I bring in is what they get and also grapevine and dogwood branches [they love!]
I switched their waterer to a stainless steel bowl.

Unfortunately I can't afford the cost to neuter and spay them. I would cost up to $700 Canadian for the 2 of them. I hope they don't get too out of control.

Today I was hopping and Diann jumped, kicking her legs and was going in circles. I loved it!
These bunnies are so good for me. The bunnies along with my dog, 2 chickens, 2 parakeets, and fish will help me get through this winter.

Hello,
Thank you for your response and suggestions.
Do you also have bunnies? My little buns are 2 months old.
For the litter box, would a plastic dishpan work if I can't get a cat litter box? I can't get rabbit litter so would another kind work if it doesn't contain clay? In their litter box I lay newspaper down and top it with a thin layer of kitty litter. They don't poo and pee when they're out so they seem to be trained outside the cage. One bunny is using the litter box, but not the other. I moved the tray to the spots where it's peeing, but it continues to go just outside of it? Is this because it's not deep enough?
I use shredded paper on their floor in the cage, is that okay? Or should I just lay newspaper or hay on the floor? I've used newpaper, shredded paper and hay on the bottom of cage but they still poop and pee!?

Their exercise is every hour roughly. I let them out a lot :) They've gotten into my plants so they are now bunny-proofed. They play and roam in our entryway [7 x17 feet]
I saw rabbit hammocks and they seem to use it because there is pee and poo in it. But yes, I lay fleece cloths down and they lay on them too.

Whatever hay I bring in is what they get and also grapevine and dogwood branches [they love!]
I switched their waterer to a stainless steel bowl.

Unfortunately I can't afford the cost to neuter and spay them. I would cost up to $700 Canadian for the 2 of them. I hope they don't get too out of control.

Today I was hopping and Diann jumped, kicking her legs and was going in circles. I loved it!
These bunnies are so good for me. The bunnies along with my dog, 2 chickens, 2 parakeets, and fish will help me get through this winter.
A larger plastic bin will do. A lot of people use thos under the bed storage tubs. If you can find one that will fit in there it will help. They should be able to turn all the way around inside of the litter box.

I would use puppy pad or newspapers for the bottom. It's a lot easier than loose stuff.

Where do you get your hay from?

And bi, I diny have rabbits, but I would like to get some in the future. I cant right now because I currently have two dogs (who are bunny friendly), but it wouldn't work with my allergies and having three animals free roam. I'd like to foster one soon though.
For now I've just been helping rabbits at local sanctuaries and other places with rabbits.

A larger plastic bin will do. A lot of people use thos under the bed storage tubs. If you can find one that will fit in there it will help. They should be able to turn all the way around inside of the litter box.

I would use puppy pad or newspapers for the bottom. It's a lot easier than loose stuff.

Where do you get your hay from?

And bi, I diny have rabbits, but I would like to get some in the future. I cant right now because I currently have two dogs (who are bunny friendly), but it wouldn't work with my allergies and having three animals free roam. I'd like to foster one soon though.
For now I've just been helping rabbits at local sanctuaries and other places with rabbits.
Thank you. I'll pick up a plastc dish pan for their box.
We just ordered self absorbent pads. For now I'll switch to newspaper in the time being.
We get our hay from the same people I bought them from: Mennonites on their farm.
A surprise a few minutes ago; one bunny mounted the other! Geesh, they're starting young eh?

Thank you. I'll pick up a plastc dish pan for their box.
We just ordered self absorbent pads. For now I'll switch to newspaper in the time being.
We get our hay from the same people I bought them from: Mennonites on their farm.
A surprise a few minutes ago; one bunny mounted the other! Geesh, they're starting young eh?
How are they doing??

Back
Top Bottom