HELP Prolapsed Vent!

MEGTHEGREER

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2021
Hello everyone, my sweet silkie has a prolapsed vent and I am feeling very discouraged. I have cleaned her in a salt bath multiple times, applied antimicrobial, hydrocortisol, and sugar to the vent. I have pushed it back in and isolated in a dark area, but the tissue continues to fall out and seems swollen...so far it will not stay in more than an hour or so. Any advice would be much appreciated! Photos attached for reference.

Attachments

• 20211122_113623.jpg
    20211122_113623.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211122_113611.jpg
    20211122_113611.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211121_171755_remastered.jpg
    20211121_171755_remastered.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211121_171706.jpg
    20211121_171706.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 16
How long has this been going on? I would continue the soaks once daily, and if you can use some chlorhexidene or a little betadine in the water, or plain dish soap to clean it up, that might help with the odor. Silkies skin color makes it hard to see if there is necrotic or dead tissue. Any dead tissue should be gently rubbed off during the soak, and put some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it afterward. Do you feel an egg coming? Some cases of prolapse can be hard to treat, and may not resolve, or could take a week or so for the cloaca to stay in.

How long has this been going on? I would continue the soaks once daily, and if you can use some chlorhexidene or a little betadine in the water, or plain dish soap to clean it up, that might help with the odor. Silkies skin color makes it hard to see if there is necrotic or dead tissue. Any dead tissue should be gently rubbed off during the soak, and put some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it afterward. Do you feel an egg coming? Some cases of prolapse can be hard to treat, and may not resolve, or could take a week or so for the cloaca to stay in.

Thanks for the reply! It has been a day or two so far. There is definitely some bright red tissue exposed and even white pieces that I think are from the cream sticking. So far I do not feel an egg coming and have placed the tissue back in roughly 6-8 times today. My goal is to shrink it and try to keep her from laying :-( my poor girl! Thank you for the timeline estimate I am hopeful after some effort there may be progress. It's not too big, perhaps the size of a small walnut.

Back
Top Bottom