Help requested… Our drake attacked my girl!

DuckyMama4

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
Hi!
An unfortunate event occurred this evening and I am hoping someone can help with what I can watch for.

One of our “babies” (9 weeks tomorrow) found herself in the adult side of our run. This is a first time occurrence and I have no idea how she managed it. We have already taken steps to avoid this happening again.

Our drake traumatized her. I am unsure what all happened. She has some ruffled feathers on her back and the back of her neck is pretty rough looking. 😭 Aside from that she seems to be physically ok. She is eating, drinking, went for a swim, forging… all things ducky! She’s not quite herself though (as expected).

I have heard drakes will try to mount females before they are mature and that it can cause severe damage and/or death. I am unsure if he tried, or if he was just attacking her, but I’d like to know if there is anything I can watch for to know if something is wrong that we cannot see.

My poor Hoglet. 😭

Just keep her where she can be warm, rest, and heal. Monitor her food and water intake to make sure she is eating and drinking. You will know what is normal and what is not by being able to keep her segregated and observing her.

Thank you for the response. She seems to be more like herself today. She does seem a bit nervous to come up to me today which is a change (her name is Hoglet because she LOVES any and all attention and pets!) but I am hopeful that will go back to normal with time.

My drake gave a teenage hen a bloody back and back of her head. She recovered fine with no extra care needed beyond segregation. Was on her way to being the alpha when she was rehomed. Dad and her maturing brother always made a b-line for her so I guess chocolate Ancona hens are extra sexy.

Back
Top Bottom