HELP!!! Rooster attacked by a dog!!

Wow he soooo looks like my first rooster (of my adulthood), Louis XIV!!

I think also that the bump is probably a hematoma - a bad bruise with maybe more leaked blood. Is it reddish black? since this just happened, I doubt it's an abcess yet. I'd definitely watch it. I'm not sure I'd lance it. I'd give it a day to go down a bit as this just happened and he's going to be swelling for about 24 hours and then hopefully going down a bit.

I'm glad you found the article on another post; that's why I post it even when I think a simpler answer would do - in case someone needs it on another occassion. Then I just clarify, like I did with you, that the whole kitchen sink might not be needed. It's a bit intimidating frankly!
smile.png
But if you need the whole thing, I always have found it nice to have a chest list as wound-time is usually stress-time for the human.

Let us know anything else that needs doing. The next 24 you'll make sure he stays hydrated, cross your fingers that it's only external injuries, keep him comfortable and eating and away from flies. In the summer flies' larvae can hatch in hours. So check him just in case one got him on his way home. Do it every four hours or so so if some hatch, you can just wash them away as they hatch and more hatch. Don't be alarmed if they do - they're pretty easy to get off. It's not a death sentence.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be wondering how your boy is and hoping/praying he's ok, so please let us know if you don't mind.
smile.png

Thanks!

Thanks you all for being so helpful. I am going to keep this article for future reference in case something else happens. I will let you all know about his condition.

Back
Top Bottom