Help sexing button quail

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
Ok so I've been told that if clear liquid comes out it means a male when vent sexing. So I tried it on all my button quail and put 2 that I thought were boys together, and about a week later I put another one that I thought was a male in with them. Well 3 days later there's an egg in the cage. So I vent sex quail 3 again and this time no liquid. So I take her/him out to put with the girls for now, and then today there is another egg in the 2 quail pen. And now I'm really confused. Is there any way to tell? I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. Thanks.

Pictures would definitely help. In my personal opinion king/buttons can be easier to sex than Japanese/Coturnix because you can rely less on vents and more on appearance and (for both) behaviour. Kings/buttons have bibs and generally a different colour of blue/red feathering on males. Once again pics would help and I can’t wait to see your little ones! :)

Here they are!
IMG_8628.JPG IMG_8632.JPG IMG_8636.JPG

I don't have a better picture of number 3 but it just has gray and white feathers there. Yes number 1 does have missing feathers on its back I don't know why but I thought maybe if its a girl could it be from over breeding? And 3 is kinda balding, is that from molting? Because all my other quail have missing head feathers too. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom