HELP...SICK CHICKEN

I don't know if I can help, but I had a chick that was about 12 weeks old that ate a feather. Yep...a big feather that got stuck in her crop. She kind of acted the same. She was fine one minute, then about 10 minutes after eating the feather ( which I saw her do, and couldn't get it away from her ) she got with drawn from the rest of the flock. I didn't know what was wrong with her. Wouldn't really eat much, drank a little, stayed by herself and was puffed up all the time. She was so weak from not eating that I could almost blow her over. She was sick for almost a week and was near death. I had to save her, So I did some reading and came up with crop impaction. So I got a syring and mixed olive oil and got some "save a chick" with some warm water and carefully put some down her throat so that it went into her crop. Then I gently messaged her crop to loosen the lodged feather. Within a day she was fine. It happened one other time, so I repeated the same procedure. She is now 7 mo's old and doing well.
well...i had a small syring...and i mixed up some warm water with olive oil....sure enough it was grass struck in her throat...as i put in in her mouth...i rubbed her crop...then it started to all come out of her mouth...i tipped her so she could get it all out.....it was lots of grass....i dont know if i gave her too much water...she started to fade fast...i dont know if she couldnt breath....but she died....i feel like i killed her...should i have just given her a little water and let her sit still???...i feel just awful...the pool little thing....i feel if i knew more what to do she would still be alive....i am very sad...:(

She should be inside where it's warm and have access to a heat source. If you could get a picture of her poop, that might help in getting her the correct treatment.
i did have her inside the house since yesterday.....thanks for your help

well...i had a small syring...and i mixed up some warm water with olive oil....sure enough it was grass struck in her throat...as i put in in her mouth...i rubbed her crop...then it started to all come out of her mouth...i tipped her so she could get it all out.....it was lots of grass....i dont know if i gave her too much water...she started to fade fast...i dont know if she couldnt breath....but she died....i feel like i killed her...should i have just given her a little water and let her sit still???...i feel just awful...the pool little thing....i feel if i knew more what to do she would still be alive....i am very sad...:(

Sorry you lost her... Sometimes, when they are very sick, they will vomit when you put any amount of fluid into their crop and sometimes they die just from being handled while really sick.

Take care of yourself, you did what you could.

Gosh, I am so sorry that you were not able to save her. She was probably just so weak that no matter what you did she didn't have the strength. You did your best for your baby, it was not your fault.

Gosh, I am so sorry that you were not able to save her. She was probably just so weak that no matter what you did she didn't have the strength. You did your best for your baby, it was not your fault.
well...it kept me up all night thinking about it......i am wondering if i just gave her water once after some grass came up, maybe she would have been all right....i feel like i forced to much on her...i only did a little at a time....but it all came back up and thats when i saw all the grass that was caught....is this normal for chickens to have this happen if they eat grass???

Back
Top Bottom