HELP! Something is getting my ducks!

Areynolds1985

Hatching
Jun 4, 2023
I’m in need of some help identifying a predator who has been getting one duck per night for the past 2 nights.
My ducks are in an 8ft x 8ft x 7ft tall chain link dog run with a canopy top. The ducks heads were taken off and insides were eaten. The body was left in a pile of feathers.
I see no claw marks on the canopy top, I closed up every square inch of openings with hardware cloth and zip ties.

I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago, a few towns south of Wisconsin.
I was first thinking raccoons, but I’m also thinking a mink. They ONLY eat one a night and leave the other few alone. Or until the next night.

I am planning on putting them in dog kennels tonight, but I really need help identifying the predator and what I can do.

I’ve read raccoons will take everything at once, so I don’t Know what to think or do!

Any suggestions would be great!

I’ve got enough areas closed up that would make it hard for anything of that size to get in.

I’m starting to think a mink or raccoon, but have no way of telling…
could be a mink. a raccoon is roughly the same size as an opossum so if a raccoon can get in then the fox (grey fox) and opossum could as well

Only the heads getting eaten definitely sounds like raccoon. Raccoons are really smart and can open doors. If there is an open spot they could have found their way in. Look for any gaps. They can also dig so keep a lookout for that.

Only the heads getting eaten definitely sounds like raccoon. Raccoons are really smart and can open doors. If there is an open spot they could have found their way in. Look for any gaps. They can also dig so keep a lookout for that.
Can they climb up chain link fencing? I’ll assume so

I have a few gaps at the top (where the canopy top meets the chain link) that can be opened a few inches.
Other thing is, why only one at a time? And not all of them?

I have a few gaps at the top (where the canopy top meets the chain link) that can be opened a few inches.
Yes they can definitely climb up chain link fencing. Depending on how big the holes are of the chain link fence It’s definitely possible that they reach in with their hands. They are probably going in through the gaps though so I would try covering those. If you can, I would also sprinkle some Epsom salt around the perimeter of your coop or some cayenne pepper since they aren’t a fan of those smells.

You need half inch hardware cloth to protect your animals. Chain link has way too big of holes. And you need the hardware cloth do go underground at least a foot or two to prevent those trying to dig under.

Back
Top Bottom