Help, Strangest Poo I’ve Ever Seen in My Bantam Flock!

Wow I really appreciate that info. I have given Colloidal Silver and at other times ACV (the good kind) for similar purposes. You think the copper sulphate does something more of different than these other two remedies? Thanks!

Sorry for your loss. It is always best to know what the problem is before throwing a lot of treatments at chickens. Acidified copper sulfate is sometimes use to treat canker when antibiotic metronidazole is not available, and for sour crop in some cases. It is not something I would use when I had an unknown disease because it can be overdosed or misused. The is cooper sulfate and acidified copper sulfate. Only the latter should ever be used.

The first dropping has some normal cecal poop and regular poop, but a lot of mucus and urates. Has either one had diarrhea?

I’m sorry that you lost your little rooster. Did you vet check for coccidiosis and worms, and rule those out? A lot of white urates can indicate dehydration in a sick bird. Green poop indicates not eating enough. The best way to find out if there is a disease or something contagious is to have your state vet do a necropsy by taking in or sending the bird in on a weekday. The body should be cold but not frozen. Here is a list of most state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I'm happy to defer to those with more experience. I've been keeping chickens about 5 years only. I only mentioned the Acidified copper sulphate because Jillo mentioned already treating with antibiotics and testing for worms. I have a 3 year old hen who had white and green diarrhea and the ACS helped more than anything else, including sulfa antibiotics. But I should mention I live in a pretty remote jungle area of South America, so I don't have access to vet analysis. But of course I agree if an evidence based diagnosis is possible, that's the best way to proceed.

Coccidiosis may only cause blood in 2 out of 8 or mores strains of coccidiosis. The vet should have looked for coccidia oocysts as well. You can try treating with Corid without worry, but they need to drink normally enough of the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. A sulfa antibiotic such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP will also treat coccidiosis, and a few other diseases. What state are you in?
Oh man. Good to know. We are in Texas…

Oh man. Good to know. We are in Texas…
Also, if one hen died 6 weeks ago from this, and another just last week, does that still sound like it could be coccidiosis? The strains of coccidiosis that I was familiar with previously were quick killers if no action was taken. But it just be that this is a strain that kills slowly?

It is just hard to know what you are dealing with unless you get a necropsy, do one yourself at home to look and take pictures of the organs, or get lab work. So many things can cause diarrhea, you have to look at how they are acting, if they are eating, if they are standing puffed up or hunched, etc. Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young birds or sickly birds who have poor immunity.

Back
Top Bottom