Help to identify- 2 Clean Legged Assorted Bantams, Welp Hatchery, from rural farm store

catsndogs4us

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2016
Any ideas on these 2 clean legged bantams (please disregard silkie who kept jumping into pictures :)). These bantams came with some bad pasty butt, doing fine now may have been slightly delayed growth.
1. They are from a mixed bantam assortment in a farm store in NH.
2. The store listed them as assorted bantams from Welp Hatchery.
3. I got them at about 10 days old, they're now about 17 days old.
4. The yellow is much smaller than the black and much smaller than the two silkies from the same assortment. The yellow seems to be all yellow, clean, pink legs, straight comb.
5. The black has a different comb, not sure what type, feathers seem to be coming in all black, clean black legs. The black bird is slightly smaller than the two silkies from the same batch but is larger than the yellow chick.

I tried to get a clear picture of each but they're wiggly and the silkies kept jumping up on the brooder plate with them! THe icture of them peaking out from under the brooder last night gives a pretty good look at their combs, plus it was just cute. They have lety of room under the brooder late they were just peaking out the back/ lower side. If no one knows here I'll try TudyBOT because she looks VERY smart!:jumpy

:lau

Attachments

• 20230401_082619b.jpg
    20230401_082619b.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230401_082137b.jpg
    20230401_082137b.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230330_195410.jpg
    20230330_195410.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 6
Did you look through Welp's page of clean-leg bantams?
https://www.welphatchery.com/smooth-legged-bantams/

I think the black might be a Black Rosecomb.

I don't see any white varieties listed individually, but the Japanese assortment lists white as an option, and the Old English assortment lists Red Pyle (which can look white as chicks.) I think Red Pyle Old English Game is slightly more likely than White Japanese, based on the foot color and leg length, but I can't be positive.

The white chick does look white to me, not Splash (from one of the Blue varieties) or Lavender ("self blue").

Sometimes an assortment will include breeds that are not actually listed, so there is a chance of it being something else (like if they are just starting a flock of White Old English or something like that, and put a few in the assortment but didn't have enough to bother actually mentioning on the website.)

Did you look through Welp's page of clean-leg bantams?
https://www.welphatchery.com/smooth-legged-bantams/
Yes but I found their pictures to be not very clear. I tried looking on other hatchery sites and those do have better pictures but they may not be the same breeds since they are different hatcheries. I scoured the boards here too, bantams are just hard I guess!
Sometimes an assortment will include breeds that are not actually listed, so there is a chance of it being something else
Thanks @NatJ for replying. This could be true, I can't find a match for the yellow. These are rescue chicks, I couldn't leave them at the farm store, the little yellow one was in collapse and they all had terrible pasty bottom. I guess I'll just be happy they are now thriving and play the wait and see game until they're feathered out.

Yes but I found their pictures to be not very clear.
Yes, that definitely is a problem. I was mostly looking for "white" and "black" breeds, so I was able to rule out most of them pretty fast. I know it's been easier since I got some experience with what color chicks grow up to be what color adults.

I tried looking on other hatchery sites and those do have better pictures but they may not be the same breeds since they are different hatcheries.
Yes, that works well sometimes. Sometimes it helps to work back and forth between several sites-- one for the list of breeds, the others to find better pictures of those breeds.

I scoured the boards here too, bantams are just hard I guess!
Yes, they certainly can be.

Thanks @NatJ for replying. This could be true, I can't find a match for the yellow. These are rescue chicks, I couldn't leave them at the farm store, the little yellow one was in collapse and they all had terrible pasty bottom. I guess I'll just be happy they are now thriving and play the wait and see game until they're feathered out.
They are cute, and they look healthy now :)

Most breeds do become more obvious as they grow up, although I've seen a few that stayed puzzling for their whole lives.

I so wonder if we bought our bantam babies from the same feed store in NH. Mine were in terrible shape with pasty butt and from Welp Hatchery Bantam Assortment. The only ones I know for sure are the Silkies. These were a rescue mission purchase, but it sounds like yours were too.

I so wonder if we bought our bantam babies from the same feed store in NH.
Yes we did get them at the same place! I use a variation of catsndogs4us on all my online things rather than my real name. That is one of my hatched frizzles from a year or so ago in my profile pic. I still have no idea what the two clean legged ones are they don't really fit the Welp descriptions.

Back
Top Bottom