Help wanted - poorly chickens, one dead

Tomarse

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
I’d be grateful for any advice or suggestions please-
One of our hens died suddenly on Saturday evening. Seemed fine right up until Saturday morning when she was a bit quiet and not interested in her 5 week old chick. By the afternoon she was breathing with her beak open and just sitting around. Suddenly there were a few drops of blood which seem to come from her nose. She sadly died on the way to the emergency vet. The vet looked at her anyway and suggested liver failure as she was thin with yellow legs..
Yesterday her chicks breathing was a little laboured so I took him to our vet. His breathing was settled and he was given antibiotics in case. The vet was unsure what had caused it. He seems a little better today. We have him in the house.
This evening a second hen looks like she might be suffering the same way. Seems a little quiet, her crop isn’t very full and I can see her breathing.
All are Pekin bantams. The first hen is around 9 months and we’ve had her 3. The second hen is a year and hatched with us. So far all our others seem ok… They live in a separate run to these but all are let out together.
There hasn’t been any coughing, sneezing, runny noses or eyes.
Any suggestions what this could be please??
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom