HELP: what’s wrong with my chicken??

jslater14

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
One of my girls seems to be showing a possible respiratory illness. Making kind of raspy noises, opening her mouth a lot and then coughed up what looked like a bunch of phlegm. She seems to be moving around and eating otherwise but definitely has something going on. She is molting very late and we just had some very cold weather that may have affected her. What do I do to help her get better?

I attached a picture (screenshot from the video) where you can see the phlegm string she coughed up hanging for her mouth

Attachments

• 5324E559-A7CE-41D6-91FC-FA858BF8DD4A.jpeg
    5324E559-A7CE-41D6-91FC-FA858BF8DD4A.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 17
One of my girls seems to be showing a possible respiratory illness. Making kind of raspy noises, opening her mouth a lot and then coughed up what looked like a bunch of phlegm. She seems to be moving around and eating otherwise but definitely has something going on. She is molting very late and we just had some very cold weather that may have affected her. What do I do to help her get better?

I attached a picture (screenshot from the video) where you can see the phlegm string she coughed up hanging for her mouth
Feel her throat, make sure there's no blockage, look down her throat as well?

I had a chicken like this yesterday who over gorged, on feed, & had a lump that she couldn't swallow without help. It caused her to froth at the mouth.

Im no expert by any means but I personally would separate her from the rest of the flock . I would go to tractor supply and get some vetrx, it worked really well when my flock got a R disease. Instructions are on the bottle .

Anytime you mess with her make sure to wash your hands before you mess with the other birds.

Also what Mysterychicken said , check for blockage in her throat.

I would clean her off well. Do you hear any congestion, rattles or gurgling when she breathes? You are right she may have a respiratory infection. They can come from viruses, bacteria or mycoplasma, fungus and mold, or they can just become irritated from dust and environmental irritants.

How are your coop conditions? Any wet, dusty, moldy, ammonia odors? Do you see any nasal drainage? The sinuses are connected to the nostrils and the choanal slit in the roof of the beak. Are there any bubbles or foam in either eye? Any eyelid swelling? I would watch her to make sure that she is getting food and water. Let us know about the eye symptoms, if any.

I would clean her off well. Do you hear any congestion, rattles or gurgling when she breathes? You are right she may have a respiratory infection. They can come from viruses, bacteria or mycoplasma, fungus and mold, or they can just become irritated from dust and environmental irritants.

How are your coop conditions? Any wet, dusty, moldy, ammonia odors? Do you see any nasal drainage? The sinuses are connected to the nostrils and the choanal slit in the roof of the beak. Are there any bubbles or foam in either eye? Any eyelid swelling? I would watch her to make sure that she is getting food and water. Let us know about the eye symptoms, if any.

I did earlier. Not horrible, sounded like she coughed once and then spit up that phlegm. She obviously feels fine since shes eating and evading me as I'm trying to get her to move her to the garage. No eyelid swelling, bubbles or foam. Looks completely fine except for the occasional coughing, phlegm and opening of the mouth.

Its been raining the last few days. Previously it was very cold here, and of course she molting late. The run they hang out in is wet from the rain. Coup is dry.

Im no expert by any means but I personally would separate her from the rest of the flock . I would go to tractor supply and get some vetrx, it worked really well when my flock got a R disease. Instructions are on the bottle .

Anytime you mess with her make sure to wash your hands before you mess with the other birds.

Also what Mysterychicken said , check for blockage in her throat.
Washing your hands before messing with other birds doesn't make a difference, since a respiratory disease is often spread by the chickens secretions, when they sneeze, or cough.

VetRX is a respiratory Aid, it helps clear the airways, breaking up mucus allowing for better breathing.

Back
Top Bottom