HELP!!! What should I do?

HiThere

Hatching
Jul 11, 2020
I'm embarrassed to say that I've done so many things wrong during incubation. I'm hatching 6 duck eggs.

Mistake number 1, I purchased a cheap styrofoam incubator. I now realize this was extremely wrong, but since I already started incubating the eggs at the time, I decided to go through with it. I also wasn't able to verify that the humidity and temperature on the incubator was correct. The air cells all seemed to match up to the images I found online though.
Mistake number 2, I placed 3 eggs into the incubator at first and then placed 3 eggs in a week later. I don't have another incubator on hand and I'm not sure what to do. I'm currently on day 28 for the first 3 eggs and day 21 for the second 3. Ever since I placed my incubator in lockdown for the first 3, I haven't turned my second batch of eggs. I'm worried that the air cell on the second batch won't be good enough for hatching.
Mistake number 3, the humidity on my incubator spikes a lot when I place water in. When I placed water during lockdown to keep my humidity high, the humidity spiked up to 99 twice. Foolishly, I opened up my incubator slightly multiple times to lower the humidity back down to 75.

Currently, I have seen two of the three eggs that are supposed to hatch today rock back and forth but I don't seem to see any pipping. I'm not sure if they have internally pipped because I'm scared to open the incubator more and candle them. I'm scared that I might've shrinkwrapped the ducklings and they're not able to pip.

My temperature is currently from 37.3-37.6, and my humidity is stable right now at 71. However, throughout lockdown, it's been from 68-80. It has spiked higher but because I opened the incubator slightly, but it dropped down.

I understand that I have made so many mistakes and my current situation is not ideal but I need advice on how I should proceed. Should I be patient and wait it out? Or should I try to do something? What should I do about the second batch? This is my first time hatching and I really need help.
I really hope a couple of these eggs hatch out, as their mother and father were very close to me; but unfortunately got killed by raccoons. The eggs are either pekin eggs or pekin x khaki campbell eggs.

I'd try not to worry too much. :hugs

Ducklings take ages to hatch. The rocking indicates that they've either pipped internally or they may be moving into hatch position which happens a bit earlier on in the process. If they've internally pipped you may start to hear them peeping. If not, don't panic, they just aren't quite there yet. They stay pipped internally for about 24 hours then they externally pip and can stay at that stage for up to 48 hours before finally unzipping and hatching.

It's common for humidity to spike when you add more water so don't worry about that. As long as there isn't condensation building up on the inside of the incubator it's fine.

With your later eggs I'd run the humidity a bit lower until you need to lock them down. Rather than locking down on a specific day you could wait until they have pipped internally before raising the humidity. There's no danger in opening the incubator until the eggs have pipped externally and you can still candle in those later stages to check on their progress and judge when to raise the humidity. Try not to move the eggs from the position they are sitting in though so the ducklings can position themselves properly for hatch.

Let us know how you get on. This part is the hardest part - waiting for something to happen!

5 of the 6 ended up hatching! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-12 20.45.50.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-12 20.45.50.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom